Hemibagrus questions

victor448

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
florida
IME the 24 inch Hemibagrus I have appears much happier in the 479 gallon than the 180 gallon. In the 180 the fish didn't move a lot do to lack of space but was always interactive at feeding time and aggressive when siphoning off the bottom repetitively attacking the tube and my hand if given the chance.When switched to the 479 gallon as the only occupant, because it would kill other potential tank mates the fish transformed into a patrolling calm, and a more inquisitive entity. Closer to what I would assume is its true nature. When I enter the room the fish swims at high speed to my location with or without food present. No room to do that in a 180. I suspect the fish greatly "appreciates"the larger quarters as evidenced by its behavior basically existing in a 180 but thriving within the limits of captivity in the 479 gallon.

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
So instead of posting a new thread I figured I would just revive this one with a question, but I want to know about "nemurus". So rapps currently has these in, but they are albino and I do believe that wyckioides comes in albino as well. (not 100% sure though)
Is there a way to tell the two apart when both are albino?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
The artc will have an orange tail I believe, I've also been hunting for nemurus ever since I moved on the big wyckii...

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
So instead of posting a new thread I figured I would just revive this one with a question, but I want to know about "nemurus". So rapps currently has these in, but they are albino and I do believe that wyckioides comes in albino as well. (not 100% sure though)
Is there a way to tell the two apart when both are albino?
No albino wyckioides. Never seen one anyway. It's always a nemurus. But if you were to come across it the wyckioides would have a red tail the nemurus won't.

Edit: going back and forth between pictures it's easy to tell the difference besides the tail. The adipose is different, wyckioides has longer whiskers, wyckioides eyes are more on top of the head. Nemurus has a stockier body. Nemurus kind of resembles wyckii more... anal fin is different shape of dorsal fin is different. Nose shape is different. Pectoral fin is different. All the fins are different lol. Very easy to tell the difference imo. And there's the easy simple growth difference lol.

Going through the pictures in google I definitely see different species under nemurus that aren't wyckioides or wyckii lol.

Here some quick screenshots off of google.
Wyckioides: IMG_2490.PNG
Nemurus: IMG_2491.PNG

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am not aware of albino wyckioides or wyckii. Perhaps a few exist. I think vincentwugwg vincentwugwg said his fisherman caught an albino wyckii and he showed us a photo.

I have never seen a normal colored nemurus / spilopterus in the trade. They are all albino and they all come from farms and they are all refuse.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I am not aware of albino wyckioides or wyckii. Perhaps a few exist. I think vincentwugwg vincentwugwg said his fisherman caught an albino wyckii and he showed us a photo.

I have never seen a normal colored nemurus / spilopterus in the trade. They are all albino and they all come from farms and they are all refuse.
Photo credits to Kelson exotic fish

albino wyckii1122.jpg

albino wyckii closeup eyes.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store