hi

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Ammonia should be 0. Nitrates 25 or below. Nitrites 20 or below. This is what I try to stick to. I don't measure as I should either. I do 30% changes weekly and measure monthly.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
i've been feeding the fahaka bloodworms and i've been cultivating a snail farm slowly to get an infinite supply of food for him, i know he'll eventually need the snails for his "beak" to trim down, but maybe he'll just use the rocks in the aquarium for now.
i don't really have much time to test the parameters currently, but the tank was cycled prior to putting fish in and only experienced a minor algae bloom and with the combined efforts of the pleco and me i managed to get it under control.

husbandry? i hope not, i've been treating him really well, maybe it's the food, should i be feeding him shrimp or cut up crayfish?
Your fahaka is only 0.5” atm? should have enough space in a 29 gallon to grow to a couple inches before switching to a 125g, month till Black Friday is ample time.
Bloodworms provide little to no nutrition. More of a treat for smaller species of fish. Switch over to smaller snails if possible, when it grows larger you can switch it over to frozen foods like clams etc.

chrisgriffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2024
Nitrites are toxic - they should also be at zero.
Nitrate is best as close to zero as possible, but under 20 is acceptable.
thanks
Your fahaka is only 0.5” atm? should have enough space in a 29 gallon to grow to a couple inches before switching to a 125g, month till Black Friday is ample time.
Bloodworms provide little to no nutrition. More of a treat for smaller species of fish. Switch over to smaller snails if possible, when it grows larger you can switch it over to frozen foods like clams etc.
yes, hasn't grown one bit, maybe the bloodworms are the problem, i've stunted his growth by feeding him only that. do you recommend anything that isn't live snails? my mother and i rarely have the time to drive me to the lfs to pick up more pest snails and my snail breeding facility is very slow right now.

i could do shrimp, feed him bits of it, will that make him grow?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I like mysis shrimp as food - most fish go crazy for it. He may be too small to eat ghost shrimp.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store