how can i quiet down the water noise on my turtle tank

biohazardcustomz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
illinois
hi i have a 55 gallon tall tank in which i am keeping my three juvenile turtles in. i have the water level lowered and a floating turtle dock in there with them everyone is happy and healthy. i know they will need a bigger tank so dont flame me. these turtles are small and very young. they have TONS of room to grow and within the next year will be in a pond most likely. if not a much bigger tank. right now the problem is the only filter i have for them is a hang on back filter. and i know canisters are much quieter because i own a couple. but i cant afford to buy a new canister for their tank right now and id like a way to quiet down the water noise on their tank. i have more than 10 tanks in the room with this one so noise isnt the problem its just this one tank in particular is LOUD because the water is falling like 6 inches or so. anyway i can quiet it down? i was thinking of putting a piece of plastic on the filter for the water to run down. just dont know how i will attach it or if there is any better ideas. or im about to go buy like three internal filters. help?

biohazardcustomz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
illinois
i thought about doin that but the filter intake would be in the way of the turtle dock attaching to the wall and i dont know if the turtles will mind that. they like getting up on their basking dock. i dont know if they will like getting hit with the water.

komodo182

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I have one in the light for basking (largest zoo med dock) and one that fits in against the side wall of the tank where the filter is.so two large docks in the tank. The turtle likes to go on the water dock and get a shower from the filter too,lol.

biohazardcustomz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
illinois
it is something i could try for sure. ill check out prices on them. id rather not have two or three internals plugged in when this would be much less energy being used. my power bill was 457 dollars last month. what can i say, i love my animals.

i am still open to any other suggestions, this one being the first and a good one at that. but any other advice?

komodo182

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
biohazardcustomz;4369483; said:
my power bill was 457 dollars last month. what can i say, i love my animals.

WOW
I thought mine was bad. It was 80 bucks and that is only the fish and lights haha
since water and heat is paid for,lol

prettykitty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Hello, i had a turtle tank similar to yours 2 years ago, it was 60 gallon water level low and HOB filter.
I ended up getting a 125 gall with fish for my 2 turtles now.. so its great I have 2 canisters (fx5, marineland c-530)

bUT WHAt i did when it was noisy then was I just cut a plastic cup in half kinda and glued it on the output of the HOB so water could flow slowly and down in..

Another thing is you could cut pvc in half and make it flow in a tube down so it'lll be more quiet

But i recommend you buying fluval underwater series. it's good easy to clean and maintain, also like cheap and good for turtles

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Stack some rocks under the return so that the water doesn't fall so far

biohazardcustomz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
illinois
cant stack rocks safely in a 55 gallon tall tank. it would be over two foot and if it fell and broke the tank it would be a disaster. unless i glued them but id rather go the turtle dock option as this wont be a permanent turtle tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store