how do you sex juvenile salvini cichlid and firemouth cichlid?

Regalblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
MI.
I don't pay any attention to the fin "trailers" when sexing my Centrals.
I used to a long time ago & it backfired on me.

ilovecacichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2011
illinois
the male's dorsal an anal fins are more pointed the females have the rounded fins. this is 99% positive as genetics might play games with you.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
my 2in female salvini has nice pointed fins and with other species this really doesnt stay true even 99% of the time so i would stay away from trying to sex by their fins unless you have a male right next to a female to compare and this is only part of the characteristics you are using to sex them. as for FM i think you have to just get a couple and grow them out and find one that way, this will be cooler anyways because it allows you to have more fish/activity in the tank when everything is little and if you get multiple males you can pick out the one with the best coloring/personality. and yeah like others have said femal salvinis will have black in their dorsal and nice big red blotch on their bellies and will be more brightly yellow, they will show these colors even when little, my little female salvini i just got is not even 2in yet and she is as colorful as the one in the first link you posted so just pic the one that has the most spangling and non-female specific coloration

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
males tend to have more colour, elongated fins and larger size, this isnt always accurate, but with young fish its really the only way you have of telling.

Salvini's have two different colours for males and females so you can watch them as they grow they should grow male or female colouration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store