How long does it take a UV sterilizer to clear an algae bloom?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
UV denature your sperm if you expose your nuts to it. haha you definitely want a flow rate of 150-250 gph. the wat need passes thru the UV and need enough time to kill the organisms or element. hooking your UV on an fx5 is like speeding through the car wash which does nothing to clean your car.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Are you speaking from experience? :ROFL:

That means I need to get a power head then... You want to lend me one? :D

FishNCash;4345210; said:
UV denature your sperm if you expose your nuts to it. haha you definitely want a flow rate of 150-250 gph. the wat need passes thru the UV and need enough time to kill the organisms or element. hooking your UV on an fx5 is like speeding through the car wash which does nothing to clean your car.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
arkmann;4345497; said:
Are you speaking from experience? :ROFL:

That means I need to get a power head then... You want to lend me one? :D
My pairs still works great and still going strong.:D I got an el cheapo MaxiJet 1200 powerhead for cheap if you want to buy it. I would recommend slapping a piece of foam for prefilter. Better yet, get an XP3 and load that it up with more bio and you have more benefits.:) Did you ever pick up a koralia?

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Your flow is fine.

It takes 22,000-30,000 µW/cm2 to kill algae...

your FX5's flow is around 500gph...

So your running that UV at a rate of around 45,000 µW/cm, which is more than enough to kill algae...

So you UV and flow rate are perfect for killing algae,

If you slow the rate, the UV will have a higher µW/cm2 rating, which means it will kill other things in the tank... but doesnt make it any more potent to algae...

The thing you have wrong here is your wattage... that UV is too small for that tank.

So either get a bigger UV, or stop feeding the algae with excess lighting periods, or excess food. Also, do more water changes to lower your nitrates. If you do that, that UV size will keep algae in check.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
^Hmmnn... I thought the Via Aqua 15watts was rated from 200g to something bigger. I will disconnect the light up until Monday and see how it goes. I am also feeding every other day with market shrimp and everyday with pellets. I will try to minimize the excess pellets as well. Let's see it that will work. If not, I'll grab myself a s wet/dry or maybe and xp3...

Thanks for the advice guys!

Now is anyone selling a yakima roof rack or a triathlon wetsuit size small?

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I have used a uv steralizer on a 404 fluval and a 150g tank and within 2 days noticed a big improvement in the water clarity. Never heard anyone mention flow rate before but would definatly try a new bulb.

pURPLEcHILLIrED123

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Earth
I got 54w UV hooked up to 305 on my 170. Tank running for over 1.5 years next to the window and have never had algae. The UV is on 24/7.

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
The thing you have wrong here is your wattage... that UV is too small for that tank.
Huh???
Just slow the flow, Que No.
Allot cheaper than upping to a higher wattage unit to match the flow.
diverting just a portion of the FX5 output into the UV.
Couple of "T" fittings, valve and tubing will make a world of difference.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Sounds like a good weekend project to me. I will go ahead and do that this weekend.

Is there anybody else here who doesn't cement their pvc pipes together? My piping is currently not glued together but I sure tried to put thie pipes all the way in.

KaiserSousay;4346554; said:
Huh???
Just slow the flow, Que No.
Allot cheaper than upping to a higher wattage unit to match the flow.
diverting just a portion of the FX5 output into the UV.
Couple of "T" fittings, valve and tubing will make a world of difference.

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
When you have the UV down for your new/improved set up, would be a good time to verify the bulb is working.
Just because the indicator light is lit, might not mean the bulb is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store