How many hikari mini pellets (3.2-3.7mm) to feed 4 inch oscar and 5 inch oscar.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Well it could also be a dominance thing, usually I find that subordinate fish don’t put on size as quickly as more dominant ones. Stress plays a factor in growth imo.
Yup. another factor could be genetics OR the dominant one is simply eating more food by getting to it first. But don't be tricked by baby size...the red could ultimately be bigger than the tiger. It happens. Their true personalities won't kick in until later.

The red might be younger, too.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature, if schools of cories are in season, or if termites are migrating, an oscar might gorge for a few weeks.
At other times an oscar might not eat for a week. or more.

And these gluts and faminies are all part of the natural life cycle, as are other seasonal changes..

When seasonal rains come, oscars may get 100% water changes "every hour", with tannin inundated and fresh black water.
In the dry season, riverine flow may only exchange 50% of there water only once per hour .

More than just food, reducing growth inhibiting hormones in the water column, with water changes, are to me ,
the most effective way to increase rapid growth, while at the same time, maintaining water quality
IMG_4117.jpeg
wet season above'
Below same river, dry season
6af38c5a-d3a4-4692-b33a-1686af5885eb.jpeg

sean2024

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
In nature, if schools of cories are in season, or if termites are migrating, an oscar might gorge for a few weeks.
At other times an oscar might not eat for a week. or more.

And these gluts and faminies are all part of the natural life cycle, as are other seasonal changes..

When seasonal rains come, oscars may get 100% water changes "every hour", with tannin inundated and fresh black water.
In the dry season, riverine flow may only exchange 50% of there water only once per hour .

More than just food, reducing growth inhibiting hormones in the water column, with water changes, are to me ,
the most effective way to increase rapid growth, while at the same time, maintaining water quality
View attachment 1544621
wet season above'
Below same river, dry season
View attachment 1544622
Thats very true. I do 80% water changes every week while they’re small. Would you suggest more? Water parameters seem great while doing this, no nitrite or ammonia. Nitrates are always 0-15ppm. Their water quality is always great, crystal clear but If you think more water changes would help growth then I will definitely do this.

sean2024

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
Yup. another factor could be genetics OR the dominant one is simply eating more food by getting to it first. But don't be tricked by baby size...the red could ultimately be bigger than the tiger. It happens. Their true personalities won't kick in until later.

The red might be younger, too.
Yeah the bigger one takes alot of the smaller ones food for sure, but i do my best to sneak the smaller one more food when the bigger one is chewing haha. Works out good most of the time but sometimes even when the big one is chewing he will run over and snatch the smaller ones food lol. Hes a lil fatty. I dont over do it with that because last thing I wanna do is over feed the bigger one. How didnt I think of this hahaha. Sounds like its definitely that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store