How to care for Tarpon

Tsubakai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2008
Australia
Currently have mine at 30C with some salt (got white spot with the salmontail cats) but will drop it back to 26 next water change. I run it at neutral pH and essentially treat it like I do all my bigger Aus natives. Otherwise not much else to say. Even though they do get big I've not seen anyone get one bigger than 60cm in a freshwater tank.

OzMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Tsubakai;3085712; said:
Currently have mine at 30C with some salt (got white spot with the salmontail cats) but will drop it back to 26 next water change. I run it at neutral pH and essentially treat it like I do all my bigger Aus natives. Otherwise not much else to say. Even though they do get big I've not seen anyone get one bigger than 60cm in a freshwater tank.
do you have any pics at all? :naughty:

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
i believe the australian freshwater ones dont get more than 2 feet?
theyre very fun fish...
eat non stop.
but really big wusses....
they arent picky at all about water conditions.
just keep it stable.

Piscineidiot

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
QLD Australia
:headbang2
OzMonsterFish;3084172; said:
chalceus - the local store has them atm. do they get big?
They get to about 25cm in length. Big enough to be spectacular, but not so big as to be unmanageable.

Channarox, there are only 2 species of tarpon, the Atlantic - Megalops atlanticus and the Indo-pacific - Megalops cyprinoides. Their ranges don't overlap as far as I know, and we only get the Indo-pacific variety in Australia. I have caught them over 2 feet in length, and have a friend who has caught them closer to 3 feet in length.

I have no idea why their 'max length' is placed at 1.5m on fishbase and other taxonomic descriptions of the indo-pacific species, but apparently, that's what it is.

Considering the longevity of the Atlantic cousin, however, I'd say it would take them a LONG time to grow to that size.

OzMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
channarox;3089702; said:
i believe the australian freshwater ones dont get more than 2 feet?
theyre very fun fish...
eat non stop.
but really big wusses....
they arent picky at all about water conditions.
just keep it stable.
i love mine. excellent natured fish. eats like mad and has a funny character.

what fish is in your avatar?

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Piscineidiot;3090461; said:
:headbang2

They get to about 25cm in length. Big enough to be spectacular, but not so big as to be unmanageable.

Channarox, there are only 2 species of tarpon, the Atlantic - Megalops atlanticus and the Indo-pacific - Megalops cyprinoides. Their ranges don't overlap as far as I know, and we only get the Indo-pacific variety in Australia. I have caught them over 2 feet in length, and have a friend who has caught them closer to 3 feet in length.

I have no idea why their 'max length' is placed at 1.5m on fishbase and other taxonomic descriptions of the indo-pacific species, but apparently, that's what it is.

Considering the longevity of the Atlantic cousin, however, I'd say it would take them a LONG time to grow to that size.
i know that...i mean ive read somewhere that a variety of freshwater tarpon found in australia only gets to 50cm...

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
OzMonsterFish;3090691; said:
i love mine. excellent natured fish. eats like mad and has a funny character.

what fish is in your avatar?
dorado my friend.
salminus maxillosus.

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
The fresh water indo tarpon likes a bit of salt. Also keep the ph above 7.8. Add some coral to. They come up for air, so keep a tight lid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store