how to get pleco to eat veggies

celts88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2011
Derry,New Hampshire
I have tried putting cucumbers in my tank and leaving them in for a couple hours but my pleco won't touch it. I tried blanching the cucumber but he still won't touch it. Is there any way to get him to eat it?

suds1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Midwest
Try zuchini? I've never tried cucumbers..

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Leave it over night. I don't blanch/boil any of my veggies. Just cut it in half and stick a spoon threw it to make it sink. Once they realize its food they will eat it until they practicly explode. Just keep trying it!

KyleStone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
Malta
I have the same problem with my royal pleco I got him for 4 years now and he never grew since I got him :irked: he is becoming olmost boring:(

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
zuchini...I use those veggie clips so they have a place to anchor themselves...In the beginning they only come out at night to feed but now, even before I finish clipping the veggie they are already crowding around the clip...

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
I use a fork to anchor mine. Some plecos can be picky. Try experimenting you will find the right veggie :)

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
What kind of pleco is it? They aren't all vegetarians. For example, the L128 (blue phantom) wild diet is mostly crustaceans. Even common plecos seem to turn omnivorous and even more towards carnivorous as they grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store