how to get pleco to eat veggies

jonnyjay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2011
england
id just keep on offering zuchini and cucumber when the lights go out when they work out its food they should eat it, thats assuming your pleco is a veggi eater lol

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Stop feeding them anything else. What's your entire stocklist? Odds are you can take a week to focus solely on this one food. Just put in a fresh piece every night. It can stay 24 hours easily. Then, the next night, replace it with a new piece. Repeat. Feed them nothing else. It's all in the technique. I've gotten all my plecos to eat zucchini this way. They just won't starve themselves, and once they have been forced to taste it they'll never refuse it again. Then you can go back to the usual smorgasbord of massivore and algae wafers and they'll take the zucc at will. They will also associate the anchor you use with edibles so you can start popping asparagus and peppers on there, too.

celts88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2011
Derry,New Hampshire
So when I looked in the tank this morning my plec was dead...he was on top of the piece of zuchini I put in the tank to. Even tho I didn't have him long and couldn't get him to eat I still liked him alot. Thanks for the advice though. It was very helpful

Bianca

Feeder Fish
Feb 2, 2018
I have a rubber lip pleco and I tried butting a cucumber in the tank to help with the fact that he has pretty much eaten all the alge but he won't touch the cucumber. I don't want to do blood worms because I know the retras and and guppies will eat them first. What else can I try? Or should I keep doing the cucumber for a while to see if he will eat it?

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I have a rubber lip pleco and I tried butting a cucumber in the tank to help with the fact that he has pretty much eaten all the alge but he won't touch the cucumber. I don't want to do blood worms because I know the retras and and guppies will eat them first. What else can I try? Or should I keep doing the cucumber for a while to see if he will eat it?
I've found it can take several tries before they realize it is food, you can also try green beans

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
This is 7 year old thread so you may get better results if you start a new one.
Have you read the sticky thread on pleco diet and feeding? Lots of good advice in that one.
I have found with my plecos they like zucchini better than cucumbers.
I would just keep trying and put the food in the same spot every day just change it out for fresh. They will eventually find it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store