I got ICH

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Alright guys. So just several minutes ago, i noticed that my two small (2-3") oscars (red and tiger) have white spots on their fins. I researched it out how to diagnose ich, and realized that
1. they have been spending more time near the bottom of the tank,
2. the tiger's appetite is almost nonexistant
3. they have white spots.

i researched how to treat ich. I learned that its best to try to treat it with
1. daily water changes (already have been doing that cause my tank isnt yet cycled)
2. take out the decorations and subrstrate or put the fish into a second tank (this wont work cause this tank is my second tank cause the first one sprung a leak)
3. increase the temperature
4.add 1 teaspoon of salt for every 10 gallons into the tank.
They guy said to do this before trying store bought ICH medicine.

I have two issues:
1. Im hesitant about the salt cause i have no idea if that will be okay for my 2 young oscars 1 young eclipse (aka sun) catfish.
2. I also dont know if my 3 fish will be able to handle tempuratures 85-90F.

A second guy said that when he uses store bought ICH medicine/solutions, he always looks for two ingrediants: Formaline and Malachite green. On amazon I found: API LIQUID SUPER ICK CURE Freshwater and Saltwater Fish Medication. Will this work?

Any ways, that is what know. Also, my oscars havent moved from the spot they've been residing in every since i noticed the spots. So about 20-30 minutes.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Alright guys. So just several minutes ago, i noticed that my two small (2-3") oscars (red and tiger) have white spots on their fins. I researched it out how to diagnose ich, and realized that
1. they have been spending more time near the bottom of the tank,
2. the tiger's appetite is almost nonexistant
3. they have white spots.

i researched how to treat ich. I learned that its best to try to treat it with
1. daily water changes (already have been doing that cause my tank isnt yet cycled)
2. take out the decorations and subrstrate or put the fish into a second tank (this wont work cause this tank is my second tank cause the first one sprung a leak)
3. increase the temperature
4.add 1 teaspoon of salt for every 10 gallons into the tank.
They guy said to do this before trying store bought ICH medicine.

I have two issues:
1. Im hesitant about the salt cause i have no idea if that will be okay for my 2 young oscars 1 young eclipse (aka sun) catfish.
2. I also dont know if my 3 fish will be able to handle tempuratures 85-90F.

A second guy said that when he uses store bought ICH medicine/solutions, he always looks for two ingrediants: Formaline and Malachite green.

Any ways, this is what know, my oscars havent moved from the spot they've been residing in every since i noticed the spots. So about 20-30 minutes.

Sounds like Ich possibly caused by stress . Are there anymore fish in the aquarium? How long has the aquarium been setup?

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Sounds like Ich possibly caused by stress . Are there anymore fish in the aquarium? How long has the aquarium been setup?
I had to move my fish to this 10 gallon temporarily less than a week ago. probably 4-6 days ago. Theres only 3 fish. 2 oscars and 1 sun cat. All three fish are under 3 inches long, and theres plenty of hiding spots.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I had to move my fish to this 10 gallon temporarily less than a week ago. probably 4-6 days ago. Theres only 3 fish. 2 oscars and 1 sun cat. All three fish are under 3 inches long, and theres plenty of hiding spots.
Is the 10 gallon bare bottom no substrate? When do you plan on upgrading them back into a larger aquarium? It is going to be difficult to treat them in the ten. Water changes every other day will be needed to keep ammonia from building up to a lethal level. Treating them in a larger bare bottom aquarium or even a tote would do.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Is the 10 gallon bare bottom no substrate? When do you plan on upgrading them back into a larger aquarium? It is going to be difficult to treat them in the ten. Water changes every other day will be needed to keep ammonia from building up to a lethal level. Treating them in a larger bare bottom aquarium or even a tote would do.
i planned on putting them back into their original big tank when i reseal it. So theyre only gonna be in the 10 gal for like another week. The tank is not bare bottom. it has gravel and rock decor and a fake plant because im trying to increase surface area to establish the nitrogen cycle.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i planned on putting them back into their original big tank when i reseal it. So theyre only gonna be in the 10 gal for like another week. The tank is not bare bottom. it has gravel and rock decor and a fake plant because im trying to increase surface area to establish the nitrogen cycle.

Ok you will need to gravel vac as well during treatment of ich. Also will have to add more aeration. Air stones will work. I personally like the increased heat and salt method for treating Ich.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Ok you will need to gravel vac as well during treatment of ich. Also will have to add more aeration. Air stones will work. I personally like the increased heat and salt method for treating Ich.
Thats what im worried about. i heard that salt works great with cichlids, but not so with scaleless fish. both of which i have. and i also read that oscars live in the cold climate areas and so i dont know if raising the water temp to 89F would be a good idea

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All ich "meds" except are toxins in one form or the other.
They are dosed in a way as to hopefully kill the parasite without killing the fish.
The problem I have with high heat, is that the lesions produced by ick on the skin of the fish, often become secondary infection sites by bacteria which become most virulent in high water temps.
the stress from moving and an unicycled tank also spur on infection.
Whether you use salt of any other med, the point is to get the treatment going, if not you may lose one fish from treatment, or all 3 if you don't act fast enough.

The problem with many meds is they are carcinogenic to humans, and although I've used them all over the years, I find salt is best, and less toxic to the fish and me, a normal treatment may take 2 or more weeks, and you may have hands in and out of the water.

Reactions: Go_redfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store