I need pleco ideas and advice

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
So, I want to get a pleco that will go into a tank with my Oscar Cichlid and sun cats.

The fish (Oscar and cats) are small at this point: 2”. But Imma still need a fish that’s going to grow big enough to not be hassled by the other fish.

And I would also like the pleco to not be a super dirty fish considering I already have three other really dirty fish.
And I would also really like it if the pleco would actually clean algae pretty good.

Earlier, I went with the common pleco, but I learned later that it’s suuuuper dirty, but it also barely cleans.

I would also prefer if it was inexpensive. I don’t really care if the pleco hides all the time. I have my oscar to interact with.

Please feel free to share any info (max size, diet, behavior, price, availability, etc) about any plecos (or other fish. Who knows what may work?) that may work for me. And even any extra fish/info to help some one else out. Thank you.

Mr geophagus

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2019
Royal plecos or high fin spotted plecos.

Stats for both species:

Max size - 18 in.

Min. Tank size - 75 gallons

Diet - leftovers, algae, algae wafers

Temperament - peaceful, except to other plecos

HIGH FIN - algae cleaning ability - 5/10

Cost - low-medium

Color/patterns - 8

ROYAL PLECO

Algae cleaning ability - 4/10

Price - medium to medium high

Colors/patterns - 9/10

Both are cleaner than the common pleco

Reactions: Zak03

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I wouldn't suggest buying a Pleco if you're getting it to clean algae. There are ways of keeping tanks where algae shouldn't be an issue.
Royals are great, but they aren't "algae eaters". They won't be too expensive for a basic variety (L190/L191) but they require wood and if you give them enough to chew on, they will absolutely be dirty.

Adjust your parameter and lighting to avoid algae and then just get a pleco that you like rather than one as a worker.

Reactions: Zak03

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
I wouldn't suggest buying a Pleco if you're getting it to clean algae. There are ways of keeping tanks where algae shouldn't be an issue.
Royals are great, but they aren't "algae eaters". They won't be too expensive for a basic variety (L190/L191) but they require wood and if you give them enough to chew on, they will absolutely be dirty.

Adjust your parameter and lighting to avoid algae and then just get a pleco that you like rather than one as a worker.
i understand. im not looking for soley just a worker. I just dont want to have a pleco that i like, but it also be a huge biological burden

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I've had a rhino for a long time. It's definitely not one of my stand out plecos but has been a great fish.

I guess another question, if comfortable answering, what do you consider inexpensive?

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Spiny! L185 dont take **** from nobody. Kinda blows the inexpensive point though.

Slightly Psycho Aquatics

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2019
I'd think you should get some Bristlenose Plecos (5 inches max size). If you get several of them that are a decent size, there is a much lower chance of the Oscar eating or picking on them in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store