I need pleco ideas and advice

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
If you like cactus and don't want to spend much, you should be able to find L114 pretty easily for around $50. Beware that it may start a pseudacanthicus addiction which will not be cheap.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
If you like cactus and don't want to spend much, you should be able to find L114 pretty easily for around $50. Beware that it may start a pseudacanthicus addiction which will not be cheap.
They are definitely pretty. I like how they look, but but theyre gonna have to wait a bit since they cost that much

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Royal plecos or high fin spotted plecos.

Stats for both species:

Max size - 18 in.

Min. Tank size - 75 gallons

Diet - leftovers, algae, algae wafers

Temperament - peaceful, except to other plecos

HIGH FIN - algae cleaning ability - 5/10

Cost - low-medium

Color/patterns - 8

ROYAL PLECO

Algae cleaning ability - 4/10

Price - medium to medium high

Colors/patterns - 9/10

Both are cleaner than the common pleco

I wouldnt wanna call an royal pleco or L190/L191 by its Lnumber for a good cleaner. Maybe they clean good if your tank is filled with wood since they are of the panaque family and their main diet should consist of wood.

And high fin spotted pleco is in my book an gibbiceps wich is the laziest pleco of them all when it comes to algae. My gibbiceps are almost 50cm and dont eat anything other than shrimp and mussels. And they are messy as hell.

OP if you want a pleco thats cheap eat algae and clean upp the bottom after your oscars buy an bristlenose. They dont get big and always scanning its suroundings for food.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
I wouldnt wanna call an royal pleco or L190/L191 by its Lnumber for a good cleaner. Maybe they clean good if your tank is filled with wood since they are of the panaque family and their main diet should consist of wood.

And high fin spotted pleco is in my book an gibbiceps wich is the laziest pleco of them all when it comes to algae. My gibbiceps are almost 50cm and dont eat anything other than shrimp and mussels. And they are messy as hell.

OP if you want a pleco thats cheap eat algae and clean upp the bottom after your oscars buy an bristlenose. They dont get big and always scanning its suroundings for food.
as Im learning more about plecos, algea cleaning is becoming less of a priority. Looks are nice, but i also need it to be big enough to not be eaten by my catfish when they will grow up. Sun cats will grow to 18". So i do need a bigish pleco, and one that doesnt give off a huuuuge biolode.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
as Im learning more about plecos, algea cleaning is becoming less of a priority. Looks are nice, but i also need it to be big enough to not be eaten by my catfish when they will grow up. Sun cats will grow to 18". So i do need a bigish pleco, and one that doesnt give off a huuuuge biolode.

Well a bristlenose becomes quite large and doesnt produce that much waste compared to many other plecos. I have a L200hf now that is really gorgeous. They grow to around 20cm. Havnt noticed that much of waste from it. But that is a strict herbivore pleco. You should look at L160 (pseudacanthicus spinosus) they are beautiful and carnivorous. I got a wc specimen in with my fahaka im growing out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store