Ideal Turnover Rate?

dawnmarie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
California Delta
www.eddosharbor.com
You are going to get about as many different answers as you get posts. I'm not sure there is one correct answer for any set of circumstances. Usually this type of thread evolves into a d**k swinging contest. My thought is, Determine if the fish you are going to keep require current. Beyond that if your filtration is effective and your water stays oxygenated then high turnover rates are only good for bench racing.Personally I think If your fish don't require current then 4 to 6x is plenty. anything more than 10x is a waste of energy.
Let the games begin!

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
dawnmarie;3879755; said:
You are going to get about as many different answers as you get posts. I'm not sure there is one correct answer for any set of circumstances. Usually this type of thread evolves into a d**k swinging contest. My thought is, Determine if the fish you are going to keep require current. Beyond that if your filtration is effective and your water stays oxygenated then high turnover rates are only good for bench racing.Personally I think If your fish don't require current then 4 to 6x is plenty. anything more than 10x is a waste of energy.
Let the games begin!
:iagree:
Well said!!!

Johnnybravo60025

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2008
IL
I figure that you can get away with a higher turnover rate because you're just establishing one filter for your next, bigger tank, right? ;)

bitteraspects

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
ExoDon Juan
higher turnover rates can aid circulation thus improving mechanical filtration. (allowing particles to stay suspended in the water column long enough to reach your filter intake/ overflow).

sure, your bacteria colonies can nitrify ammonia and maintain water parameters @ 1x turnover, but with such poor circulation there will be damn near zero waste removal, and definitely no "crispy" water.

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
bitteraspects;3881310; said:
higher turnover rates can aid circulation thus improving mechanical filtration. (allowing particles to stay suspended in the water column long enough to reach your filter intake/ overflow).

sure, your bacteria colonies can nitrify ammonia and maintain water parameters @ 1x turnover, but with such poor circulation there will be damn near zero waste removal, and definitely no "crispy" water.
That is such an extreem example, I dont think anyone who has a clue advocates a 1x turn over on anything. Now I can only speak for myself but what I think everyone els is saying is that somtimes a 4-6x (lower) turn over is actually prefered over the biggest pump you can get fit under your stand. Such as discus/angel tanks, livebearers, and planted tanks.

RAWfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2009
NC
bitteraspects;3881310; said:

I'm wondering if this is what I'm dealing with now. I have a totally overstocked "GUPPIES GONE WILD" 10g tank with an Aqueon 30 filter on it (outfitted with an AC50 sponge over its intake), and the water is crystal clear. The turnover is 20x+ based on the rated flow. My 26g community (which isn't crazy overstocked) has a single AC50 on it, but the water is NOT crystal clear. Rated turnover is 8x. Is this a turnover issue or more of a media issue? I think there are a lot of tiny particles in the water, not a BB bloom. However, this tank also has 2 Cories and a CAE which stir up the bottom, so what can I expect. I'm tempted to upgrade to the AC70 or add a second AC50 to see if I can improve things.

BTW, the parameters in both tanks are excellent.

Thoughts?

daveydoodle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
Not to steal from the Original Poster, but same question; ideal turnover rate for Clown Knife and Arowana in a 180 gallon tank, 40 gallon sump filter @ about 6' head height? I was guessing higher turnover (closer to 10X) which would be a 1200 gph pump, sound right? Also, recommendation on brands or stores? Thanks

dawnmarie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
California Delta
www.eddosharbor.com
As for ideal turnover rates see post #11 on this thread. For the actual needs of your fish you might consider posting in the "Anceint Fish " forum for advice as this will likely assist you in choosing an acceptable turnover rate. As for pump brands, you get what you pay for. Buy the best pump you can afford, you'll sleep better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store