Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Red Devil;4826350; said:
wow this tank is huge... great great... lots of luck with it...
Thanks!

nes999;4826386; said:
niiiiicccceee!
Thanks!

NotoriousSway;4826546; said:
Looking good, cant wait to see some fish in there!
and.... Thanks!

Already one fish in there.

nes999;4826695; said:
whats the brand of heater is that?
I'm not really sure to be honest. I know it came from Jehmco, but that's about all I know. I got it in the fish room buy-out that we did. For what it's worth, its the same dimensions as my Blueline 500W heater.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I've been able to use the standard 1" ID reinforced clear tubing with good tight hose clamps without any issues on my FX5s. If my closed loop FX5 setup was with holes on the back (as the 220 likely will end up being) I'd probably have chosen to plumb as much of it with nice straight PVC as possible, then just have some barbs off to the tubed part below. As it is now, I'm using holes from an overflow in back so I just have the tubing. No problems so far, just as long as the clamps are on right.

I've always wondered about the efficiency of the inline heaters... whether it has to run more or less often because the water moves past it so quickly, etc. I can't even begin to make a guess as to whether it would make a difference.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
DaveB;4829329; said:
I've been able to use the standard 1" ID reinforced clear tubing with good tight hose clamps without any issues on my FX5s. If my closed loop FX5 setup was with holes on the back (as the 220 likely will end up being) I'd probably have chosen to plumb as much of it with nice straight PVC as possible, then just have some barbs off to the tubed part below. As it is now, I'm using holes from an overflow in back so I just have the tubing. No problems so far, just as long as the clamps are on right.

I've always wondered about the efficiency of the inline heaters... whether it has to run more or less often because the water moves past it so quickly, etc. I can't even begin to make a guess as to whether it would make a difference.
Yeah, I'll probably use the reinforced stuff. I need to do some shopping around when I have the Aquastop valve in hand.

The in-line shouldn't make much of a difference. In the tank or not. You're still getting contact. The only real worry is heat loss while traveling through the pipes. It shouldn't be a noticeable difference at all.

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
you mean all this time I've been away and still no 500?!?!

Well I didn't go all the way back, but nice work on the room, looks like its coming together.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
MaddMaxx;4869523; said:
you mean all this time I've been away and still no 500?!?!

Well I didn't go all the way back, but nice work on the room, looks like its coming together.
Nope, not 500. Might actually be trading it off in the next couple of weeks. I picked up the 265 & 300 and they seem to be fitting the bill for me right now.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Pharaoh;4825947; said:
Mike and Chris came over on Saturday to lend a hand getting everything finalized.

Now, time for pics......

First off is the DIY in-line heater assembly that I built just for this tank. It is plumbed from a bulkhead on the left side of the tank and makes its way to the other side and back through.

The heater container is a pretty simple design I stole from the web. Nothing fancy. 2" PVC to with 1/2" & 3/4" adapters to fit the various inputs and outputs. Standard issue 500W titanium heater installed.

The pump is a Quiet One 2200 that I had as a utility pump. I didn't feel like buying a new pump, so I used that one.

The real kicker on this setup is the Heater Controller. Not only does the controller operate the heater module, but it also turns on the pump simultaneously. That way, I get a bit of energy savings by only running the pump when the heater is on.

****Note. I will be installing an air release valve on the top of the assembly. It does pretty well and getting the air out, but I want to have the ability to bleed it if air begins to accumulate.
I'd like to be able to use a similar design for heating my 110 gal, as you have for your 500W titanium heater. Would you be willing to share the website where you found your design or are there other suitable resource designs I could choose from from the web? What did you use for a topic for your search? "In line heater designs"? Thanks for sharing, pharoh and Mike. Your ideas and accomplishments are really helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store