Is it ok to use beach sand in a freshwater tank setup?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks. Are there any other fish good for sand substrate
Snails but they may become snack. I think ur bichirs will burrow a bit as well. Hard to to figure because of the safety margin.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Oh ,well thanks. And what about some plants ?
Yea. U can add plants. Easy keeping plants is what I prefer. So anubias, ferns, water wisteria, water sprite, swords, dwarf lilies and Vallisneria. May need to use root tabs with the swords and valiseria. Also may need to dose the wate column. When picking out plants have to ask are they treated with fertilizers and emerged/submerged. If so and you don’t dose or provide enough light then the plants will have some browning and melt.

Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Yea. U can add plants. Easy keeping plants is what I prefer. So anubias, ferns, water wisteria, water sprite, swords, dwarf lilies and Vallisneria. May need to use root tabs with the swords and valiseria. Also may need to dose the wate column. When picking out plants have to ask are they treated with fertilizers and emerged/submerged. If so and you don’t dose or provide enough light then the plants will have some browning and melt.
Added to RTC probe 3's comprehensive list; Java moss tends to be hardy and can be trained to adhere and grow on and along most any surface. Also a dwarf anubius that grows in low clusters and spreads. These plants will grow in most any light including fairly low light conditions. I like my Valisnaria, it will spread through runners or you can pinch off clusters of leave branches to transplant elsewhere.
Sometimes plants new to your aquarium environment will develop new leaves adapting to your lighting and water conditions and old leaves may die.
I leave some deitrus in the substrate for fertilization.
Added to your fish list are electric yellow Labidochromis cichlid. I have a 2½" yellow lab that likes to root deeply and thoroughly through the substrata--quite the maintenance fish. It also gets along fine with the other tankmates; 3" white clouds, 5" angels, 4" killifish, 3½" robust Cories. He doesn't bother the plants but I would anchor plants with wraps or rocks, as some cichlids will uproot plants.
These fish however, have lively, enjoyable personalities. Eventually when this one has grown it will be transferred to another tank to join another large yellow lab.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store