Jardini tail biting update/question

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
So my Jardini was still having issues with biting his tail. One change I tried was holding off on water changes. I usually change 50% weekly. He was showing improvement so I held off on the water changes. I waited 2 1/2 weeks and his tail was looking much better, and he was leaving it alone. This morning I did a 50% water change and he is back at it. Nitrates after water change are at 30ppm. Maybe he just gets stressed from the water change I just don't know at this point.

Reactions: AR1

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
You can't, not do water changes! Maybe he does not like the drop in water level. Could you do 15% three times a week?
I know I need to do water changes, it was just interesting to see how he improved. I am back to my normal water changes, but he will most likely keep biting his tail. When I do 50% water changes, it's two 25% changes a day. 25% morning 25% late afternoon.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
So my Jardini was still having issues with biting his tail. One change I tried was holding off on water changes. I usually change 50% weekly. He was showing improvement so I held off on the water changes. I waited 2 1/2 weeks and his tail was looking much better, and he was leaving it alone. This morning I did a 50% water change and he is back at it. Nitrates after water change are at 30ppm. Maybe he just gets stressed from the water change I just don't know at this point.
tail biting is a mental issue that happens sometimes in arowanas.

Its not something that can be permanently cured but there are ways to reduce the frequency:

1. Adding shiny fast tankmates. They will distract the aro from its tail and towards them.

2. Do not feed live feeders. This will reduce aggression in the arowana.

3. Turn off tank lights and cover the sides of the tank for 3 to 5 days. This will calm the arowana and allow it to chill.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
tail biting is a mental issue that happens sometimes in arowanas.

Its not something that can be permanently cured but there are ways to reduce the frequency:

1. Adding shiny fast tankmates. They will distract the aro from its tail and towards them.

2. Do not feed live feeders. This will reduce aggression in the arowana.

3. Turn off tank lights and cover the sides of the tank for 3 to 5 days. This will calm the arowana and allow it to chill.
Thanks for the advice, I have been doing some more research on this and you are correct! I appreciate it!!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store