Keeping feeder fish

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
kildragon6;3306109; said:
also, is a 30 60 gal filter too much for a 10 gal tank?? and also how many feeders is saft to stock in a 10gl tank thanks

No such thing as too much. exspecially in a highly over stocked feeder tank.

Once you build your way up you coan keep as many as 30-40 feeder gold fish in a 10g. But that means daily water changes to keep nitrates and detris down. I would shoot for a running amount of 20 and do water changes every 3-5 days.

How many feeders are you planning on feeding per week?

kildragon6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
Elkton Md
not really that much maybe 5to10, i have 2 piranhais that are prob 2 in at this point i also have a 6 to 7 in pacu, i have been getting rosy or medium comets, also is a tank to small to keep fish? i also have a couple of 1.5 gall hex tanks i have a 1-3 gallaon filter that runs off the air sullly could i keep smaller feeders for the piranhs, after its cycled of course

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
So you could get the tank cycled up to hold 30 feeders. and then use 5 a week and go to the lfs and buy 10 every 2 weeks and be fine.

If you were using 10 a week I would resupply every 7-10 days max.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
No problem

Retuks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
Kaneohe
hybridtheoryd16;3306128; said:
No such thing as too much. exspecially in a highly over stocked feeder tank.

Once you build your way up you coan keep as many as 30-40 feeder gold fish in a 10g. But that means daily water changes to keep nitrates and detris down. I would shoot for a running amount of 20 and do water changes every 3-5 days.

How many feeders are you planning on feeding per week?
hybrid, your ok with feeding goldfish/comets/minnows/carp?
even for a pred-lover like you, id think you would know better :eek:.

those species have growth-inhibiting chemicals and can be compared to a BigMac in relation to health, even without parasites!

id think you would be the guy to suggest convicts/tetras/guppies/tilapia and such. say it isn't so!

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Perfect information^

Feeders, although not the healthiest food source, are used by many people in the hobby. I for one, use them after they have been quarantined for about a month. I have a 20 gallon long with about 30 rosy reds (for my cichlids) in at all times.

Retuks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
Kaneohe
kevbc03;3315267; said:
Perfect information^

Feeders, although not the healthiest food source, are used by many people in the hobby. I for one, use them after they have been quarantined for about a month. I have a 20 gallon long with about 30 rosy reds (for my cichlids) in at all times.
rosy reds are comets/goldfish :(. which i just stated are VERY bad feeder fish just as they are. their nutritional content is almost nothing and their fat content is high.

Feeders can be the healthiest food source, but it depends on the species/diet. Goldfish aka Rosy reds/comet variants are a bad species to feed to other fish because of their strange chemicals in their body that shorten the lifespan of the fish being fed to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store