Large waterchanges, septic systems, and winter

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
my French-Canadian lineage sees nothing wrong with an ice rink... I'd get a punch of PT 2x10's or 2x12's and a huge tarp and frame a rink. every water change would be like running the Zamboni over the rink... but thats also a dream of mine to have a backyard rink

• Haha
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
I actually have a similar problem. I only have ~250 gallons worth of aquariums, however my septic system is 60 years old and there is literally absolutely zero legal options to replace it (there are no places in my yard that are far enough away from pond / street / neighbor / well / house to be a legal distance by current law, and by a very wide margin it's not even close). So I'm paranoid about my septic on multiple levels (and no I don't know what will happen when it eventually fails, no I didn't know about this when I bought the house, yes my realtor was beyond incompetent).
I did this for a living here in FL. There are many instances where septic systems on existing properties do no meet the current required setbacks (legal distance) from protected structures like water bodies, wells, swales, street, property line etc. In these instances there are laws in place that allow you to apply for a variance (AKA a hardship) through your regulatory body in that state. Of course there is a fee for this and they may require you to install an "advanced septic system" which is more expensive. There are varied advanced systems some are more complex than others and even have dechlorination systems on them so when the water leaves the septic tank (that may have aerobic chambers & dechlorination chambers) the water is purified before entering the ground/soil. These systems are more expensive than a baseline septic system (common system with just a tank and drainfield). Some also employ a dripline hose to discharge treated sewage which can be directed around trees, shrubs etc. to provide a smaller footprint for the drainfield. There is way too much to explain here but the only time I had to deny a septic repair permit and condemn a house was for a property on a barrier island that was literally underwater during high tides. Every state has differing laws and requirements so I suggest you contact both a qualified septic installer and the government agency that issues septic repair permits and discuss the situation with them.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Forgot to mention that real estate agents are required by law to disclose the issue you have with this house. You should report them and could even consider suing the agent and homeowner that sold you the house to collect damages. I've also assisted many homeowners to hang these cockroach real estate agents and lying home owners out to dry. I hate seeing people getting screwed.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Yes, I have only seen snow once in my life so I've got nothing practical to add.

However thinking about the dire situation described makes me want to suggest you blast your waste water out through a long range water irrigation gun. Out over the fence. The neighbours will just think it's more snow on a clear sunny day ......

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
I am converting my garage into my fish room, so I will post my solution once I have built it. Realistically we are on a septic system sized for 4 people and it's just my girlfriend and I, so if I dump ~100 gallons a day into my septic it is truly unlikely to cause an issue. I will probably keep dumping at least some water into my septic in the winter, just to keep the field moving.

My plan in the summer will be to store some of the water in a storage bin, while most of it just gets pumped out into the field beside my house. We have plenty of staghorn sumac here to drink up the water and I intend to use most of my aquarium waste water for ornamental and vegetable gardens. In the winter I think I will add a pump to the bin with a float sensor, so that I can keep using a drip system without the risk of flooding my garage. The pump will carry the water over to the wash basin in the laundry room which is pretty close by. My plan every 2-3 days will probably be to attach a hose to that pump and drain the water out onto the snow somewhere far away so that the block of ice it forms doesn't cause a hazard.

I'll be building everything this summer, so will start a new thread of the build and link it back to here for the water management system. I also have a creek flowing through 1/4 of my property so I need to be a bit careful to not dump aquarium water too close to it.

Reactions: Gp!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

fellow Northerner here. Not quite Canada, but near the border. Same situation: well water, septic, in the middle of the woods.

I’m planning an upgrade a bit smaller than yours, adding a 300 gal.

Have you thought about a drip system? That would spread out the water purge into your septic, but it would make disposal with a hose difficult. I’ve had my sub-slab drainage pipe freeze up at the end in the field out back by draining my dehumidifier into it in the basement…rookie mistake.

jjohnwm jjohnwm do you have thoughts/ideas about solutions for the continuous discharge from a drip system?

aussieman57 aussieman57 is there a difference between the periodic high volume discharge of manual water changed vs the constant low volume flow from a drip system (any different than a running toilet?)

MooseTheWizard MooseTheWizard I hope you don’t take this as highjacking your thread, just adding thoughts. I had a drip system at my old house and I personally find it to be a lifesaver on larger setups and multiple tanks. Maybe something to consider while you plan your expansion.

Peace
HarleyK

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
jjohnwm jjohnwm do you have thoughts/ideas about solutions for the continuous discharge from a drip system?
Unfortunately, no. Aside from my inherent distaste for automation...I like being there and monitoring water changes...I simply can't have a permanent line running into the hinterland during the winter. It will freeze solid, guaranteed. That might work if your house is on a hill and the drain line runs downhill from the building at a reasonably steep angle, causing the line to drain quickly, but even then it is surprising how quickly a little ice forming at the outflow end quickly turns into a monstrous iceberg that blocks the flow completely.

And even if you have that steep grade down which to flow the water, as I did in my previous home, in winter the snow causes the formation of a small puddle or pond around the outflow, which then freezes and blocks the line. Even if you go to the trouble to heat-trace the line...and the expense of keeping it heated...you have no control over how the water flows/puddles/dams itself after it leaves the pipe. Unless I have a situation where can run the pipe at a steep angle away from the house and then have it discharge into space over the edge of a cliff or ravine, this is a non-starter for me.

I'm anxious to see how the OP works it out.

Reactions: HarleyK
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store