Leptobarbus melanopterus

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
A little update on my new fish. After about 24 hours in quarantine two of them started to develop what looked like some kind of fungal growth. It appeared in sporadic patches over scaled areas, not fins. The fish seemed ok, their behaviour was active and normal looking, and they were feeding well. Here we go I thought.

I'm not the type of hobbyist who has a fish medicine cupboard with an adornment of cures. However, I did have an oldish bottle of a "white spot and fungus cure" with claims of curing an assortment of diseases. It's expiry date was July 2023!

Without even knowing if this stuff would eradicate whatever was afflicting the fish, I started a course of treatment. After four days there was a vast improvement, and today, day nine, there are no signs of anything on any of the four new fish. Phew!

I'm going to give it a while longer before introducing them to my 360g. Hopefully we'll have no more scares along the way.

Another example of the importance of quarantine.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well, I'm reasonably happy that these fish are ok now so I transferred them to my 360g this morning.

These things are lightning quick. They love to group together. No hiding or skulking about, it's as if they've been in this tank for ages. No hassle from the other fish, not as much as a cautious peck or chase.

One thing I am surprised about is their "positioning" in the tank. They spend the vast majority of their time in the top 12" of water. They seem to prefer to feed at the surface and haven't ventured anywhere near the bottom.

Their shape, speed, positioning in the tank, and their alleged adult size would put them very much in the same bracket as the chalceus. There are real similarities. The only stark difference between the two is that the chalceus remains still for long periods of time, these are mad busy.

Their colour, especially on the tail, is already coming through. The photos don't really do that red justice, it is very bright. The red on the cheek, which gives them their name, is rather more subdued thus far, but the signs are there that these are going to be stunning within the next couple of years, fingers crossed.

I'm looking forward to watching these guys develop, and of course you'll be coming on the journey with me.

I introduce you to my Borneo Red Cheeked Sultan Fish (Leptobarbus Melanopterus).IMG_20230815_205414.jpgIMG_20230814_210425_HDR.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's been three months since I introduced these guys to my 360. Everything's going well. I love these fish. Extremely active, beautiful, and boy do these guys have a voracious appetite.

They are probably one of the fastest growing fish I've ever kept too. I put them in at around the 4" mark, the biggest isn't far off 6" now.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store