Likelyhood of pacu breaking glass?

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
I have a 10'' and 16'' pacu in a tank with 1/4th inch, and 1/8th inch glass.
MIGHT all be 1/4 inch though.
Whats the likleyhood of them smashing it?
Thanks...:nilly:

djdlemma

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
www.facebook.com
Bsixxx;1736895; said:
10 out of 10

get rid of them
:p
I don't think so. They are strong and will grow big, but the term "tankbuster" usually means that it will outgrow your tank fast! My pacu's have tried to break glass, but they usually end up hurting themselves........

Glass is strong, unless you have a hairline crack.

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
6mm glass isnt very strong. I have a few big tanks and have personally seen larger fish destroy tanks simply by swimming fast and turning suddenly so the water wave justs pops the side right off! The fish doesnt even need to touch the glass to destroy tanks. On the other hand, I have also had larger fish smash into tanks so hard I instinctively wince and can actually feel the impact clear accross my larger fishrooms (9mx21m shed).

Obviously the larger the glass and the deeper the tank, the easier it is to break. To me, the fish is more valuable than a glass tank so why take a risk? Anyway to answer your question, Pacu ARE tankbusters.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
ive kept 26 inch giant snakheads from a 0.25 inched 120 gallon tank....still running smoothly....I have them there when they were still 2 inchers

smoochxoxo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
NY
I wouldn't chance it. I have read many of things about pacus being tankbusters. From what I have read they are like a hyper puppy, when they want food they want it now and if they get what they want they go goofy. :nilly: If they have alot of room and a stable tank it happens less often. Like others have said if they are getting bigger than what their environment can handle you will surly have a busted tank.
GL
Hugs
Jenn

djdlemma

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
www.facebook.com
I dunno. I have always had pacus. They are very skittish at times, but I have yet to have them break a tank (Knock on wood). Maybe if you had a 12 inch pacu in a 10 gallon.................... I just think you don't know until you own one of these fabulous fish.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
ive kept a few pacu, and honetly have worried about this many times over. even with 1/2" on my 250g, im worried about my 10 or 18" breaking the glass.

altho in reality, i think its MUCH more likely these guys will burst a seam rather than full out break the glass on a larger tank*knock on wood*

fishoverlivingspace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Madison, WI
I would think that the only way they can break a tank that has been taken care of(i.e. has had very little stress along the seams over time) would be to knock a rock or a large heater into it. If your tank's glass is between 1/8" and 1/4" thick, I doubt the tank is large enough for that fish to get up to speed and pound into the glass hard enough to actually break the glass. Always possible, but the odds of that fish breaking the glass of the tank by means of its own body running in to it, or making "waves" that pound into the side are very low. I would be concerned if you have large rocks that are unstable though... I've seen things similar to that happen before. Although maybe some of these "tankbuster" fish may have the capability of breaking aquariums, the definition of tankbuster is a fish that outgrows the average home aquarium.

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
I'm pretty sure a pacu can break the glass of a tank. I posted in another thread how my 12 inch koi that was temporarily housed in a 100 gallon tank for 2 days, was able to bust the glass just by making a quick turn.:WHOA: The Doctor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store