Locking down a tank lid?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I had a 14" black shark catfish that committed suicide by jumping out of the tank, somehow displacing a heavy lid, and the lid fell back into its precise position as if set there by hand. No-one at home at the time, my daughter arrived home to find a dead fish on the floor, the lid still on the tank, and couldn't work out how it got there.
Yes the lid didn't completely go all the way up to stay open. It is mind boggling how things happen in the fishkeeping hobby lol.

Reactions: kno4te

Nick Park

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Drogheda, Ireland
It's a bit more complicated than that. The lid on the juwel bow-fronts is pretty heavy duty & concertinaed, with the exception of the finicky front curved piece which you manually lift off and set back in place. So we're not talking a hinged lid here. you have to set it back very precisely, otherwise it can fall into the tank. It would need to fly off completely for a hefty 14" catfish to pass through it, and then landed so precisely in position that it looked as if it had never moved. Definitely mindboggling.

IMG_3119.JPGIMG_4874.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Nice color matching on that! :) (I only found the simple white ones) They'll be at the back of the tank so it shouldn't make a big difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store