Lookinf for some info about Paroon sharks and black ear sharks

Paroon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Indiana
This is my first post here. Thought i'd say hi real fast. I've been keeping fish for about 14 years now and currently keep a 55 gal planted aquarium, a 125 gal community, a 220 gal moderately aggressive tank, and an 1100 gallion pond (12' long 6' wide 30" deep) I keep a couple normal iridescents, 2 oscars, a silver arrowana, a pink pike cichlid, and a few others in it.

I am looking to buy a paroon shark or two to eventually put in my 1100 gal. I haven't been able to find any for sale in the surrounding area. Indiana doesn't seem to have any for sale. Most stores i ask if they can get them they respond they haven't heard of them before. Also i've heard of black ear iridescents but have never seen one. I've been trying to find a picture but all my efforts have failed. The black ears, a store around here can order, but for $60.00 each i want to at least see what they look like and some basic information about them first.
Any information or pictures anyone out there has would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks...Steve

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hey. They are very rarely called paroon sharks, I get them in as Emperor IDs, or sometimes mekong river sharks, which are a different species. Paroons are P. saintsiwongi, mekongs are P. gigas. Paroons have the elongated fin tips.
They are absolutely voracious compared with normal IDs, capable of ingesting a fish half their own length. The SuperPet in my area sells a lot of them, which usually come to us after they devour the poor, unimformed person's tank.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
nice collection of fish.

welcome to MFK

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard MFK. Sounds like you have some pretty cool stuff.

I own an aquarium shop in the Dayton Ohio area, I have and regularly get paroons and black ear paroons in. Depending on where in Indiana you are, I might not be that far away from you. THere are also at least 3 MFK members in Indiana that I know of. One of them may have some good ideas locating one a little closer to home. If one of them know of any I bet they will post some info soon.

If you keep striking out trying to find a paroon, pm me and we'll see what we can do for you.

Joel

Paroon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Indiana
Thanks for the quick replys :) I'm thinking that i've seen a fish for sale marked as the mekong iridescent. It looked like a paroon but had no trails on its fins and its color was a real pretty blue. I'm not sure if that would be the same as the black ear paroon shark or not. You got me really wondering now lol. If it is the gigas i know my 1100 gal pond wouldn't even be near large enough. I'm really tossing around having the store order this is i can find an accurate picture :) again thanks for the quick replys.

Paroon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Indiana
wow awesome replys lol. Yea i'm just north of Fort Wayne so Dayton wouldn't be a bad drive at all. can you elaborate maybe on the difference between the black ear paroon and the normal paroon? Do they get the same size long term? Do they look similar and do both have those trails on the fins?
Thanks!
Steve

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
I like the paroon (pangasius Sanitwongsei) better of the two. It has the neat streamers off it's fins and a monstorous mouth.

I have had the black ear in my shop but have never kept one of my own. To me the black ear (pangasius Larnaudii) look alot like a regular old irredescent shark with a larger mouth and a black spot behind the head. I don't know if they get cooler when bigger, I've only seen them at about 6" or so.

As per the size of the two, I have had a paroon pushing 2 foot but I think they can get 3 to 4 feet. I honestly don't know about the black ear, how big it gets I mean. I bet someone here has had one and may know more about it.

Joel

Paroon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Indiana
I'm plannin a trip to dayton sometime this winter for sure. Which shop is yours? Like to stop in and check it out. thanks...Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store