Looking for info- Yellow Convict (cryptoheros nanoluteus)

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
We have a pair in a 20g long that have spawned a couple times for us. We are growing out a pack of around 30 of them right now.

My experience with them is very similar to the above posts. We had four (1 male, 3 females) in the 20g with some cory cats. All was well until the male figured out who his girl was going to be, then everyone else had to come out of the tank. The females that were put into a community cichlid tank and did not fair well. They are very mild-mannered and were being bullied by fish that I also consider mild-mannered (festivum, red-head geos, t-bar cichlid).

Very cool little fish :D

Reactions: FireflySky

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Our gold convict tank:
20170804_171432.jpg

Male:
20170804_171523.jpg

Female; she is still a little beat up from when we pulled the fry, but she's out and about now and colored like she's ready for another spawn: 20170804_171457.jpg

Reactions: Gourami Swami

FireflySky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2017
Very nice fish. They are sounding more and more like their black convict cousins during breeding. I don't have any experience with breeding fish, or dealing with them, so would same sex be easier?

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Very nice fish. They are sounding more and more like their black convict cousins during breeding. I don't have any experience with breeding fish, or dealing with them, so would same sex be easier?
Same sex is usually easier when it comes to neotropical cichlids, but they won't color up the way ours are. They are not as aggressive as convict cichlids (A. nigrofasciata) during spawning. We had to pull all of the other fish simply because it is a pretty small tank... nowhere for the other fish to get away. I think we could have easily kept them with other fish while breeding if they were in a 4 foot tank.

Reactions: FireflySky

FireflySky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2017
I admit I'm torn between wanting to see breeding colors and behavior, and not knowing what to do with the fry.

I have a 40 gal breeder. I'm debating keeping a pair with an electric blue acara (to keep fry in check), or someone had suggested 3 pairs by themselves and dithers would work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store