Lungfish Tank Size for Life

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Tilapia was a good idea in the beginning. When the fish caught on as a cheap source of protein people started looking for ways to mass produce the species. Check out videos and news reports on tilapia farming conditions. Most are cage operations on the most polluted river systems known to man. Usually, the fish are fed effluent from human sewer lines. Others have chicken coops over their ponds and the fish feed on the droppings from the raised cages. Yet, others have pigs or other animals in cages over their ponds feeding only feces to the fish destined for out grocery shelves.
Tilapia in the US are not much better. While they're not (mainly not) raised on fecal matter, for the most part they're raised on cheap pellets with barely enough nutrition to stimulate growth. And, they're grown in such tight over-populations that they have to be constantly medicated to stem diseases associated with over-crowding.
IMO, my fish are better off without tilapia. I don't balk at paying a little more for coldwater species like cod, pollock, and halibut to provide fresh protein to my fish.
Where can I find cod, pollock, or halibut? I went down the frozen seafood isle at my local Walmart and all they had were some shrimp and this talapia along with a few other options but all of these were cooked with or had something else in the bag like frozen vegetables etc. weighing them down and they didn't seem like much of anything I'd want to buy to give my fish or pay for the weight of the other ingredients just to throw them away when I got home. Also your fish looked awsome I would love an albino but I've never personally seen one thanks for all the help Im guessing I could order these books online maybe on Amazon?

Last edited:

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Where can I find cod, pollock, or halibut? I went down the frozen seafood isle at my local Walmart and all they had were some shrimp and this talapia along with a few other options but all of these were cooked with or had something else in the bag like frozen vegetables etc. weighing them down and they didn't seem like much of anything I'd want to buy to give my fish or pay for the weight of the other ingredients just to throw them away when I got home. Also your fish looked awsome I would love an albino but I've never personally seen one thanks for all the help Im guessing I could order these books online maybe on Amazon?
Wait I just wanted to ask would they be selling this type of fish in the fresh meat isle? Where they sell things like chicken and beef? Sorry idk why I didn't check there they probably have a lot more selection.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I buy the fish from the frozen dept. WalMart seldom carries them. However, Publix, Kroeger, Sam's Club, Winn-Dixie, Fresh Market, and Rouses usually always have these fish species available on my area.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
The books can be found on Amazon, eBay, and other online sites. Just google the titles.
Cool I'll get some next time I'm out of town I don't wanna feed this guy anything that could hurt him also I'm gonna look into ordering this book I might skip the one however I noticed it cost like $155.00 used

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store