Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

Samad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Portland
I screwed up some math which made this seam a bit out of reach. I think I have a good idea of a design now. To clarify $100 is for parts excluding normal system parts that I could borrow at the store. Bulbs would be free, but any custom fixtures and tubing would be out of pocket.

The challenge is to run as little lighting as possible in the smallest footprint. I haven't seen anyone doing cylindrical screens around a lamp. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

WeeNe858

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2006
:]
Samad;5076939; said:
I screwed up some math which made this seam a bit out of reach. I think I have a good idea of a design now. To clarify $100 is for parts excluding normal system parts that I could borrow at the store. Bulbs would be free, but any custom fixtures and tubing would be out of pocket.

The challenge is to run as little lighting as possible in the smallest footprint. I haven't seen anyone doing cylindrical screens around a lamp. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
that sounds like a decent idea.

easily mod a cylindrical flower vase with a pc fixture inside.

Accident

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2007
South Texas
Samad;5080917; said:
not if the cylinders were completely removable. also, any completely submerge their screens?
My screen is. It lays flat in a shallow tray. Not much water on top of it tho. Grows bright green algae. Beautiful fluorescent green color. Not big enough for my tank and I don't clean it like I should, but it killed off the brown algae that was all over the tank. Took like 3 months for it to all die off. I have pix on this thread of my setup. In combination with my drip system, parameters are perfect.

!A

Accident

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2007
South Texas
I believe that any setup that grows algae is going to help. The degree that it helps is debatable until you test your water or see the results. It's worth the effort IMO.

!A

Samad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Portland
I was thinking for number of watts having cylindrical screens around bulbs would get the most out of each bulb.

3ftx3ft screen (2592 sq inches) with two bulbs on each side

or

a 3 foot tall cylinder that's 12 inches across (1356.48 sq inches) and only have one bulb.

The biggest advantage I see is the logistics of pumping that volume of water evenly over the entire area. With a cylinder I would think doing one pump that overflows from the top would make for a more effective system overall, and ensure an even coverage.

I would end up with two of these things to cover the same area as the 3x3 screen, but with no light being lost it would be more efficient I think.

I know I can make it so that the cylinder is easily removed after lifting the bulb out of it, then being only a 3ft by 1ft tube it would still be easy to clean.

View attachment algaecylinder.bmp

justin guest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Australia
I think a cylindrical screen would have the advantage that more of the screen surface would have a higher average lux intensity improving algal growth and this would more than compensate for the algae only growing on one side possibly also allowing for the use of a stightly weaker light. The best light source would obviously be radiating light 360 degrees like a vertical flouro without reflector or a compact energy saving bulb. As for cleaning the screen, simply build the screen with a vertical seem that can be easily opened and you have a flat screen for cleaning purposes.

An alternative to the seem idea is simply to cut a screen to size and place it around the inside of a round bucket. this would also limit the amount of light escaping. Just put a lid on the bucket with heat vents cut into the lid above the light.

j<><

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store