Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

Ullopincrate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2008
South Eastern US
Weylin;2950945; said:
Im a lil confused.. No2 is nitrate or nitrite ? And which does the filter remove ?
no2 is nitrite, no3 nitrate, nh3/nh4 ammonia, po4 is phophate

From what I am gathering it removes them all. no2,no3,and nh3/nh4 are all part of the nitrogen cycle so that makes sense and po4 is removed as well. I didn't design it but I've read 38 pages so far and linked to a few sites and that is what I believe they are saying.

If so, I'm in like Flynn. I am going to Savannah for the weekend but will start my own prototype plans/parts upon coming back next week. This sounds like a God send for a reef. :D:D

Weylin

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Inside a Bottle
Thats great news.. Ill try and get some pics of my filter up.. Its really amazing, i've always had a problem with green slime algae.. Since the past week, its stopped growing and turning brown..

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
I originally was not going to try one of these, but then I started having algae... I might have to do one just to keep the algae off of everything in the tank! This will come after a waterchange system though, because this will take some room and I am looking to get rid of my sump...

Any idea of how to do this sumpless? Other than the obvious above tank setup. I would do it above the tank but I do not want to blind anyone when they walk in the room!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Update: Other ways to reduce nutrients

If you are using a scrubber, here are some other permanent ways to reduce nutrients (aside from feeding less), starting with the easiest first:

o Remove floss/foam/socks (they trap food and cause it to rot).

o Remove chaeto (also traps food and causes it to rot).

o Remove bio balls (or similar media) slowly (they create excess nitrate, and trap food).

o Remove all sand in your sump (food settles in sand and rots); if anything, use LR.

o Use kalkwasser (lime water) in your top-off (the higher pH causes phosphate to precipitate).

o Change any area of the sump that lets food settle to the bottom; all food should
continue through the sump and back to the display (this is why an open sump is best).

o Reduce sand in your display to 1/4 inch (6mm), or increase it to 4 inches (10cm).

o Using an ultraviolet sterilizer also helps reduce phosphates, but it also kills the live
pods that come from the scrubber; thus it's not recommended for normal use.

Weylin

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Inside a Bottle
Thats for the new update.. Im running the tank only on the scrubber and a few bio rings in a corner filter..which is hooked up to a powerhead.. I like the new box idea.. I might try it..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store