Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

metalyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2007
Colorado
Long time watching these bad boys at work, finally getting around to trying it out.

Working with a 55gal, and starting with a vertical slanted algae pad, until I get a bucket situated sometime this weekend.

My question is this: I picked up a Sylvania, 65 watt, 2850k, Spot-Gro bulb, is this strong enough?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Glad you are progressing :)

That bulb I believe is an incandescent, which is very hot, and does not put out any more light that a 23 CFL. You could try it, but with the bucket, try a 23 W CFL 3000K flood on the other side. With scrubbers, there is really no reason to use higher that a 50w CFL... better to use two smaller ones to spread the light out.

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA

ScottXGTR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Biloxi MS
SantaMonica, what have you seen as far as success with led lights on a scrubber? seems most go with cfls or fluorescents. and the few that ive seen with leds end up switching over.

i like that leds dont use much power, are pretty compact, and wont cause as much evaporation, but i dont want to build a scrubber that doesnt scrub.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Do these work better lit all the time or would it work better to simulate the hours of darkness? Just curious!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store