Micropterus Identification (black basses)

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Thanks guys. The information about the Ouachita smallie came about when I emailed the Oklahoma DCNR about the Neosho strain. They were very helpful and then proceeded to let me know about this strain that I had not heard of. Apparently the 2 get confused quite often. Here is a quote from the email I received from Chris Whisenhunt, Fisheries Biologist at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation:

"Oklahoma is home to two genetically distinct populations of smallmouth bass: the Neosho strain and the Ouachita strain. For Neosho strain, Spring Creek and Baron Fork Creek in northeast Oklahoma have the best populations, with Baron Fork Creek being the most accessible to the public. Baron Fork Creek is a tributary to the Illinois River and the best place for public access is a bridge crossing at Welling, OK (near Tahlequah, OK). Spring Creek flows into Fort Gibson Lake and is located near Locus Grove, OK, but is almost completely surrounded by private land where access is gained by land owner permission.

For the Ouachita strain, the Little River, Upper Mountain Fork River (above Broken Bow Lake) and Glover River in Pushmataha & McCurtain Counties in southeast OK have good populations. The southeast rivers are accessible, but much of the area is controlled by timber companies and may require a special access permit (Honobia Creek & Three Rivers WMA's) to get to some points on the rivers. Much of the Glover River is located within US Forest Service land and is the last free flowing river in the state (best chance for pure Ouachita strain fish)."

Hope this helps with distribution differences between the 2 strains.

Chicxulub

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks guys. The information about the Ouachita smallie came about when I emailed the Oklahoma DCNR about the Neosho strain. They were very helpful and then proceeded to let me know about this strain that I had not heard of. Apparently the 2 get confused quite often. Here is a quote from the email I received from Chris Whisenhunt, Fisheries Biologist at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation:

"Oklahoma is home to two genetically distinct populations of smallmouth bass: the Neosho strain and the Ouachita strain. For Neosho strain, Spring Creek and Baron Fork Creek in northeast Oklahoma have the best populations, with Baron Fork Creek being the most accessible to the public. Baron Fork Creek is a tributary to the Illinois River and the best place for public access is a bridge crossing at Welling, OK (near Tahlequah, OK). Spring Creek flows into Fort Gibson Lake and is located near Locus Grove, OK, but is almost completely surrounded by private land where access is gained by land owner permission.

For the Ouachita strain, the Little River, Upper Mountain Fork River (above Broken Bow Lake) and Glover River in Pushmataha & McCurtain Counties in southeast OK have good populations. The southeast rivers are accessible, but much of the area is controlled by timber companies and may require a special access permit (Honobia Creek & Three Rivers WMA's) to get to some points on the rivers. Much of the Glover River is located within US Forest Service land and is the last free flowing river in the state (best chance for pure Ouachita strain fish)."

Hope this helps with distribution differences between the 2 strains.
Well done, sir.

Sounds like a lot of passion and hard work went into this. :cheers:

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Micropterus haiaka - Choctaw bass (Originally thought to be M. punctulatus) Newly described species

choctaw-bass.jpg

Distinguishing characteristics:

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw extends to the centerline of the eye.
-Toothpatch typically present.
-No separation between primary and secondary dorsals.
-Found in coastal rivers/creeks in the west panhandle of Florida and into southeast Alabama

choctaw-bass.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store