Mini-Bull Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
The guy that runs this actually has 2 websites, and one company.

This First one is about him, and what he does for a living.
http://www.sharkwrangler.com

It's interesting to note - that nowhere does he say that he's handled "mini-bulls", in the list of sharks that he's wrangled. But for the record the "mini-Bull" is the Finetooth Shark.

The second one is the one he sales the sharks out of.
http://www.sharksupply.com

Both websites are part of his parent company - Sharks Unlimited, Inc. Now I do remember seeing a website for this company back in 2002. At that time they sold mostly the same sharks as the presently have - Bulls, Blacktips, Nurse, Lemon, Bonnetheads, Smoothhounds, & Atlantic Sharpnoses. But it's interesting to note - no "mini-Bulls", instead - they had Finetooths.

I'm not saying he's a reputable dealer & I'm claiming he's not one - because honestly I have no idea one way or another - I've just never dealt with him. I just think that the term "Mini-Bull" is a very funny choice of words. Here's why.

- first off - other than being in the same genus & having a "husky" build(which most members of this genus have - including Blacktips) - Finetooths & Bulls look nothing alike.

- Second - Bulls are very Very aggressive(remember - they're #1 on the more dangerous sharks in the world list), including hundreds of attacks on humans. While the Finetooth - has no reported unprevoked attacks.

- Third - Bulls regularly travel into freshwater rivers, which is something few other sharks can do. Finetooths are strictly saltwater sharks.

But I pretty sure that Zoodiver has other points on this.

Anyone only dealing on the web without giving a number to be reached @ is not on par and probly try to scam you. Buyers beware!
Dr_sudz - I'll tend to disagree with you - at least to a degree. Here's why I say that - some online dealers operate out of their homes. As someone whos had a home based business - To post a phone number on your website invites calls - including people who may nutty enough to call at 3 am (when you are trying to sleep). That said - a good online dealer(sharks, birds, horse, or what ever), should at least have some form of contact information - like an email address - so potential buyers may ask important questions.

Also it always wise that before your buy anything from any dealer(online or not), that get to know the person(s) that you are dealing with. Other wise you good easily get burned.

also would just like to say, i'm glad that MFK is getting in more shark keepers, there has been a lot more activity on the site involving sharks which is good, being as they are monsters of the sea...
Agreed.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
is he using it as just a common name... kinda like a way to sell them, make them sound better. just an idea. there is a bull (i think) that has a shorter tail than others, or am i thinking of a completely different species. but either way, i believe they arent particularly easy to get. now i think about it it was prob. a nurse shark

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - davo. There is a short-tailed Nurse. It's closely related to the common nurse. But it grows to only about 3' in length. And it's virtually unheard of in North American Aquaculture(fish trade or Public Aquariums).

There is no "dwarf" species of Bull sharks.

Basically I tend to believe that it's just a sales pitch. A way to draw people's attention to a fairly ordinary shark(if there is such a thing).

It's also interesting to note that while he said that it's(the finetooth or "mini-bull") smaller than a blacktip. And that's true, if your talking about the Atlantic blacktip - which grows to 7.5 - 8 ft. But it can grow to roughly the same size as the Blacktip Reef (about 6' long).

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
i think in the trade that is using misleading truths to get a sale...
I think that he's just trying to use the Bull's "known Man-eater Rep" to help drum up sales for a normally fairly docile(the Finetooth) species.

And before some says that the Bull doesn't deserve it's rep. Let me add - Yes, it does -the Bull has earned it Rep - with more unprovoked attacks on man - than even the Legendary Great White.

anonymous007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
no where
John McChesney (of Jacksonville, North Carolina)! We are outting you by identifying you. You trash Ken and Sharks Unlimited and lie about dealling with him. You knw that they are reputable and he told us that you tried to buy sharks from them seceral times. Didn't you pick up sharks from Sharks Unlimited last season??? Quit lying to us on this forum and tell the truth. You are a wannabe without the proper permits and it burns you up that Ken and the folks at Sharksupply.com have full permits and a proven track record.

anonymous007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
no where
Krj-1168 is John McChesney of North Carolina. Call the boys at South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and ask them if they know John. Haha. They may not want to tell you the names of the guys they busted last summer for illegal shark fishing in SC. But word is inside the office that it was John and a buddy of his.

anonymous007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
no where
We could not find a price on the Mini-bulls from Sharksupply.com
But, so what about a marketing name? King crab and snow crab weren't the original name for those crabs. Let's bash the Alaskan crab folks for giving a new common name to spider crabs to increase sales.

anonymous007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
no where
Davo,

You are right on the money. Ken said that the species had no real common name. They coined the name to identify the common look between the Mini-bull and Bull sharks. Plus, Mini-bull was a whole lot better than "Small coastal shark not well known". Apparently the fish keepers buying them don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store