Missing Fish

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Ok, I was doing a filter maintenance on my Fluval FX4 and a 25% water change on Sunday. I had to move a few decorations around which stirred up a lot of debris. That night I did a very small water change to vacuum the bottom. I only did 10 gallons. Monday morning, I went to say hello to my gents and lads, and my favorite Diadema was nowhere to be seen. I was on alert immediately because this fish has always been there to greet me no matter the time of day. I don't want to come off to emotional but I am. Needless to say, i started moving around all the decorations again after just me looking around wasn't working. I stirred up more debris and did another 5 gallon water change to get the debris off the sand. I am not getting any relief from my anxiety and I really want to strip it all up one more time. I am just worried about doing too many water changes even if so small. I have a 125g tank. I hate seeing all that debris around. My other fish are doing well with the stress this may be causing them.

I know he must be dead, so I just want to find him so that he is not decomposing. He did not jump out of the tank. I have searched. My tank is in my office where my dogs aren't allowed.

What should I do? What if I never find the body? That fish the best.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Do as many small water changes you want,they will not harm your tank.
I would remove everything that the fish could be hiding in and inspect it all.

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
i just did all of the moving around. i only have 2 caves and a tree in there but i looked all into the holes in the caves. nothing.

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
i forgot to mention, these are all juveniles in the tank. he and 3 others are about 2.5-3 inches. with 3- one inch sajicas. they've been in that tank together for 3 months . have been raised together and he was the boss. but still a very peaceful tank considering.

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
maybe he did jump out when i stressed him and maybe my dog had a chance to make a meal of him

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
i guess my main question was that of stirring up all the debris in the hunt and being able to vacuum it up . since it was so frequent

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How is it that you have so much debris in a tank of that size with such small fish?

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
what i deem may be a lot of debris for me, may be nothing to others. its what i look at it as. i am ocd about the mess . i don't stir it up around every cave every time i do a water change but in this instance i was.
i don't know the kind of answer you were trying to get from that.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
what i deem may be a lot of debris for me, may be nothing to others. its what i look at it as. i am ocd about the mess . i don't stir it up around every cave every time i do a water change but in this instance i was.
i don't know the kind of answer you were trying to get from that.
I'm just curious as why very much of anything is present from one water change to the next.Your filter should be able to keep up with any wastes that those fish produce.Do you vacuum the gravel when you change the water?.....and my apology for getting away from the topic of your lost fish by the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store