Most Black tip reef shark tank sizes given on MFK are WAY to large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Canada
Hello guys. Recently I've been looking at black tip reef shark tank recommendations on MFK and IMO they're WAY WAY WAY to large. I've seen a 3 foot BTRS in a 1000 gallon tank at my LFS and the guy said that's more then enough room, they're even looking to downgrade to a 500 gallon. People here are giving dimensions of 24 feet diameter and 8 feet depth, and I guarantee the people who give those recommendations and have black tip reef sharks don't even have an aquarium half that size. ive seen someone recommend a 30 feet diameter by 5 feet height aquarium for a BTRS, i looked at his other post and found out he has several BTRS, wobbegongs and a nurse shark in a 12 feet diameter by 5 feet height. Most experienced people I've seen with BTRS have tanks around 500 gallons. What are your guys thoughts and please please please if you have a BTRS aquarium tell us the dimensions, gallons, shape, how large the BTRS is and how well it's doing. Thanks.

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
really, for any shark i would not do anything less then a 24 foot diameter with 30 foot diameter being better... they NEVER stop swimming.. height really doesnt matter but i would not go no lower then 4 or 5 foot.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
i'm no expert but a LPS has a 5000 gallon oval aquarium setup and it looks way too small for the 4 foot something black tip. It's nose is all bump up and nasty. Let alone putting it in a 500 gallon tank.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
IDK. It's a Big Al's store in Missisuagua.

MRos1825

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yes, I have to agree that you have not done enough research on this shark. It will grow over 5 feet long, and I believe it is also an ORV. Therefore, it must constantly swim in order to breathe. A shark that size, that is required to constantly be swimming to breathe, must be able to do so comfortably, and a juvenile BTR won't even be able to hardly turn around in a 500, let alone an adult of over 5 feet. This shark really requires a pool/lagoon at the very least 24 foot in diameter, but bigger is definitely better. Please reconsider getting a BTR if you are not willing to properly house it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store