My "Aequidens metae", part 2

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Yours look great! They have definitely surpassed mine. Mine all started out pretty chunky but I have noticed in the last couple months that maybe three out of the group have slimmed down and are more torpedo-shaped now. I have also noticed the overall color lightening up a bit as the pale blue-green iridescent pattern takes over the golden base color.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
After this most recent water change I started seeing some gill flaring and chasing primarily between two fish that I think are male/female.

Ryan, any idea how these guys like to spawn? Clay pot, slate, wood, cave? All I've got in there is wood, but I'll toss in a clay pot and a couple pieces of slate tomorrow.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Thanks for sharing Ryan. Mine are in a 180 and get once a week water changes as well. Kept with abalios, daemon, and some angels. All four of mine are about the same size, 5-5.5". I've got some slight conspecific aggression mainly between what I think is the dominant male and a female, though I really can't tell them apart very well. Yours look to have pointier dorsal and anal fins than all of mine, and mine are pretty darn chunky (they get fed once a day, 6x a week). One of mine has much more dramatic wormy markings and is more yellow than the other three. If I had to guess I'd say either 2 male and 2 female, or 3 male and 1 female. Mine also destroyed my anubias, ate it all down to nubs. Dang things love plants.

I got out my camera which I haven't used in months and snapped some updated shots as well. My lighting is pretty yellow so I messed with the white balance to get a more natural look (otherwise they'd be very orange looking).

Group shot - I think two males on the right and females to the left, but I'm not positive.

A couple loose scales - the extent of the aggression so far.

Amazing fish and photos. I can tell you take great care of your fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store