My DIY: 210gal tank, Stand, Sump Project

brown_eye_crushers25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Here goes. The project took a LOT longer than expected but I am very happy. Would I do things differently? Hell yes, but live and learn and learn I did in a big way. Wish I had kept accurate details of daily progress (mostly regress). Keep a large quantity of alcohol on hand. After building this the only hurdle I would see in my DIY future would be a very large basement tank and filtration system. If I were to do it over again, I would have tried my hand at a smaller sump to get the kinks out, as I am still having small issues with my return. I am hoping I will have that worked out by the end of the long weekend. Alas, having 3 little ones to wrestle from jumpin into the tank keeps my time limited.

A) 210gal Tank, hoods, compact lights, and crappy stand got from Craigs list for under $400 if memory serves me correct. First the stand would barely hold the damn tank EMPTY it was pitiful. It also came with a HOB overflow that was 3/4" pvc connections which I did try but it couldn't keep up with anything.
B) Built a stand that would definitely be overbuilt as I figured total weight would easily surpass 1 Ton or 1.5 tons. 2x10, 2x8, 2x4, pre-finished maple 3/4" plys, etc. All finish trim, doors, hardware are birch which I think match up well with the maple and a clear coat waterbased eurethane. Thing that bothers me most is the clear coat didn't build the way I wanted it to, but the project really started to drag and had to push to finish.
C) 55gal sump was made out of another craigslist find. $25, plus I got this small 20 gal (looks like overflow tank for saltwater?). Did my best plexiglass re-do impersonation (like 3x) to get it to were I thought I wanted it. Got bio-balls cheap off ebay (1,000 balls for under $20) and then added about 50 scrubbies to top off. 8" filter sock a few times. Make sure when you add your sand you wash first or just by like 2 socks - pool filter sand discharge kills socks. I am using 2 quiet ones (4000 & 3000). You may notice I have a spray bar at one end (4000) and a drop about mid way (3000). My reasoning is I wanted to have two pumps less chance of total crash and because I will have other external pumps (canister and HOB). The 3000 will also be my turn down adjustable pump to dial in flows. Issues I am having with the sump so far is evap rates, getting full flow, water levels, sucking fish out (more on this), and worst power outage restarts.
D) The Sump return is 1.5" pvc, which going through the info debates on whether it works or not. Well it does, and LIKE CRAZY. A ***** to start - I used a shop vac - heehehehe. My only problem now is that I think the air lock valve my not be working. Since I decided to put an 'elbow' on the return end I need to screen it. I managed to suck down a LOT of fish through a 1.5" pvc (feeders, buenos Aires tets, arrow :eek:, 5inch catfish that actually almost made the jump to the far end of the sump and safety, and more). I will be working on a screen tomorrow, in the mean time i have wedged some plant material in front to screen.
D) Driftwood & Wires. The drift wood was a good deal from a fellow MFK member here who I got my Crench sp. Cobra from. He was getting rid of everything and had to "AMAZING" peices. Only problem they dont sink!!! I could only manage to get in the large tree trunk and wedge it floating. The other I am hacking appart to sink, as it is long and think but just as large as the one in the picture. Wire, well thank god there in the sump otherwise it would make that tank look like crap.

So far though it has definitely made for a nice home for the boys and as long as I keep the Cobra away from anything small I should have it for a very long time. The arrow will definitely outgrow it and move on to something 300+, and I have a while to plan.

Fish Tanks021.JPG

Fish Tanks017.JPG

Fish Tanks018.JPG

Fish Tanks022.JPG

Fish Tanks007.JPG

Fish Tanks011.JPG

Fish Tanks010.JPG

Fish Tanks005.JPG

Fish Tanks008.JPG

Fish Tanks015.JPG

Fish Tanks014.JPG

Fish Tanks013.JPG

AiR foRc3 wUnZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
WOW nice work man! Cool how it goes thru the wall.

brown_eye_crushers25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Well was kinda an unused space under stairs and thought it would be easier to work on instead of fighting with stand. With all of the back and forth I had to do to get big pvc working and wiring it just made sense. The wiring it my biggest pet peeve at this time.

My other question to DR. & chompers is if the straight pvc after the t-pipe from the overflow were longer would I get a higher gpm volume. The reason I ask is because if I have both pumps full throttle it will push faster than it pulls. The pumps according to the flow charts should be just under or about 1500 gpm. Just wondering. I think I am getting good filteration now, and can improve, as I need longer lines for XP3 that is just recycling in the sump to keep it running until hose comes in. I also have two hob whisper 60's

AiR foRc3 wUnZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
brown_eye_crushers25;1183031; said:
Well was kinda an unused space under stairs and thought it would be easier to work on instead of fighting with stand. With all of the back and forth I had to do to get big pvc working and wiring it just made sense. The wiring it my biggest pet peeve at this time.

My other question to DR. & chompers is if the straight pvc after the t-pipe from the overflow were longer would I get a higher gpm volume. The reason I ask is because if I have both pumps full throttle it will push faster than it pulls. The pumps according to the flow charts should be just under or about 1500 gpm. Just wondering. I think I am getting good filteration now, and can improve, as I need longer lines for XP3 that is just recycling in the sump to keep it running until hose comes in. I also have two hob whisper 60's
They arent the only PVC geniouses(lol) here.

If the pvc is more "straight down", you would have a higher flow rate. But, if the "T" is below the bottom of the tank, it will not re-start after a power outage. You can have it go nearly 2-3" above the bottome of the tank in order to have it start up again after a power outage.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Your backflow problems on your returns can be easily remedied by drilling a 1/4-1/2" hole just below the surface. When the power goes out, the hole breaks the siphon.

You could use flapper check valves, but they tend to leak if the flap doesn't hit right. The other spring-loaded types tend to restrict flow.

brown_eye_crushers25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Air Force:
My set up should be correct as shown in the 4th pic from bottom. The second lower loop is higher than the 1st loop and far enough away from the bottom of tank. I think it is the air check valve that is possibly faulty due to the gluing process.

Nalopete:
My issue isn't overflowing the sump.
I don't need holes drilled as the 90 degree angle on the overflow will cut off, also the spray bar and second pump will only drain to low point level.

My issues that is restarting the siphon, which is caused by air in the overflow - which means the air is building up. The other issue I wanted to get more info on is the true volume of a 1.5 pvc overflow. i have read it is in the 1500gpm range max. Has anyone confimed this??

Thanks Again for the input.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Sounds like you figured out the problem. A faulty check valve could be the culprit.

Every design I've seen on the pvc overflows both the internal and external U parts one the bottom are the same level.

Those pumps are gpH not gpM. 1500 gpm (gallons per minute) would create a vortex in your tank. LOL

Quiet One 3000 is 780 gph with max head of 10.5 ft.
Quiet One 4000 is 1017 gph with max head of 10.2 ft.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
AiR foRc3 wUnZ;1183045; said:
They arent the only PVC geniouses(lol) here...
True that :D By the way, I am pleased to inform you that your application to the Brainiac Club has been approved despite objections from your English teacher. I had to promise her that you would use a spelling checker from now on :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store