My DIY: 210gal tank, Stand, Sump Project

schaadrak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Uppinnia
If your pumps are pushing faster than they pull, you need a larger diameter overflow. I think the rule of thumb is your total overflow diameter should be twice the total diameter of your returns. So if you have two 1" returns (for a total of 2") you need a total 4" for your overflow, or two 2" overflows.

Did I say that right?

yourockit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
Los Angeles
do you think that getting a 1.5" pvc overflow to work is more difficult than getting a .75" pvc overflow to work? if you had to restart the overflow, could you do this now without using the vacuum? i am thinking about creating a dual overflow for my 240. I was planning on using a 1.5" size. I plan to connect them so that the water reaches my sump through one pipe. am i attempting to do something that is very difficult? is getting a dual overflows system to work more difficult than getting a single overflow to work?

brown_eye_crushers25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
New Hampshire
If it were up to me, I would go through the info on stickies again. Look at the dual 1" overflows that connect in the middle. It has been done. Starting 2 overflows is more difficult than a single one, but once its started it shouldn't be an issue.

I will again restate my earlier post in other thread - if ya got a small 55gal tank do a small sump as a trial run and it will be a lot less frustrating with smaller parts and they cost a hell of a lot less money.

Trial and error are the best educational experiences.

yourockit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
Los Angeles
brown_eye_crushers25;1229153; said:
If it were up to me, I would go through the info on stickies again. Look at the dual 1" overflows that connect in the middle. It has been done. Starting 2 overflows is more difficult than a single one, but once its started it shouldn't be an issue.

I will again restate my earlier post in other thread - if ya got a small 55gal tank do a small sump as a trial run and it will be a lot less frustrating with smaller parts and they cost a hell of a lot less money.

Trial and error are the best educational experiences.
I will be making a 75 g sump out of my 100g tank. the other 25% will be my resevoir for water changes. 75g aint much different than 55g.

i'll find that thread you mentioned, thanks bro!

Jkoziatek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
NY
nice work man... i like the behind the wall thing... cant see all the crap behind the scenes

joshshilling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2007
tulsa, ok
youtube.com
The easiest way to restart the PVC overflows, I have found, is set them up with a union in the right spot (outlet after the external loop). Then to start, unscrew, take them to a bathtub or a tank with the cover off. Submerge and rotate to get all the air out. Make sure your water level is low enough that when you pick the thing back up, you can reattach the union that leads to the sump before bringing the level back up.

I really like your setup going through the wall. I had a similar setup, when I got a larger tank it had to be centered in the room (wife's demand) so I can't run through the wall to the utility room- would have to go outside with it (heat loss!). I found it was great for noise too- fish tank with no hum or buzz is nice in a living area!

brown_eye_crushers25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
New Hampshire
So far it has been fantastic. As a matter of fact it makes it extremely easy for maintenance, and anything else I need to adjust (heaters) or add water.

Not sure though if it helps or hurts with evaporation. I am going to put a post up asking people what type of water loss through evaporation they notice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store