My most recent obsession: Betta mahachaiensis

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
I purposely added my ramshorns and I'm loving them, I bought 5 pinks but they've thrown out some blue leopards which are pretty cool.

I've bred montzumae swordtails and firemouths, never any bubblenesters so it'd be nice to have a try at it. It's great to see my firemouths in breeding dress and the male montezumas courting is amazing, I'm sure the bettas would be a treat to witness

Reactions: Matth05

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
I purposely added my ramshorns and I'm loving them, I bought 5 pinks but they've thrown out some blue leopards which are pretty cool.

I've bred montzumae swordtails and firemouths, never any bubblenesters so it'd be nice to have a try at it. It's great to see my firemouths in breeding dress and the male montezumas courting is amazing, I'm sure the bettas would be a treat to witness
Firemouth are beautiful. I’d love to try out a group of them one day, or really any thorichthys for that matter. Yet another fish on that very long “want to keep one day” list 😆.

Reactions: Tripping Willow 91

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
I've got 7 of them, they're great, always digging around and flairing at each other, they all get along most of time though. Here's one of my pairs with their fry
20230715_214942.jpg
Yes I've got a similar list, if had an empty 4ft right now I'd love to have 3or4 lionchu

• Love

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Very pretty fish and great scape!! Where do you get one of those?
Thanks! I got this guy from Bwaquatics. They have a ton of cool wild bettas. My main thought process in getting mahachaiensis though is the harder water tolerance. In all honesty, some of the others in the splendens complex are just a tad bit prettier lol. Everything I’ve read though suggests the others would be better off in a bit softer water. I’m beyond satisfied with this fella though.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One interesting thing about this betta, setting it apart from some other species, is that in southern Thailand, it is often found near the sea, in brackish water, with a salinity up to 10ppt (parts per thousand).

There is some research suggesting Vallisneria plants often do best in brackish salinities at about 3 ppt.
So I've been occasionally adding a gallon of Pacific ocean sea water (35ppt) to my 125 gal Vallisneria, and mangrove biotope sump, and find it seems tp perk things up.
I doubt it's just the salt, but instead, some other minerals present in sea water, like iodine, potassium or magnesium.
IMG_4289.jpeg
Val above
IMG_2427.jpeg
Mangrove saplings
IMG_2414.jpeg
Sometimes after the occasional sea water additions, the Vals start to flower
IMG_0251.jpegIMG_4519.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store