My polypters senegalus skull

cephalofoil

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
Coooooool @@

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
wow. very cool. i think i will be doing this next time i have a dead fish.
Very nifty!
This is something I would pay money for lol Maybe to have a HUGE congicus head on a wooden platform in a glass box with special lighting. Anyways Very nice job I don't know how I would had the time or patients to do that I would've probably accidentally smashed it on step one.
Thanks everyone! I'm gonna try the skeleton of a full fish soon. I would have done the Senegal but their skeletons are partially cartilaginous so it definetly wouldn't work.

I'm trying to find a dead piranha to work on, thats my dream fish skull haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Here is what i did back in 2010 if i can remember the date right. From left to right. Senegalus, ansorgii, iclown knifefish, irwini, australian lungfish, irwini, gaft, silver aro and ropefish and lapradei in the middle

Ropefish

Lap and sene

Congi scales of a 18"'specimen

I actually completed all the known species as I used all the dead bichirs that arrived during the time when I used to do import/export before. I actually used many dead fish that came in that died before. I had a 23" congi before. The bigger the fish the easier to clean. The smaller the fish the harder it is to clean as it a lot more fragile.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Buried a 12 inch female ornate in the backyard can't wait to dig her up after seeing those prehistoric skull's ;)

cephalofoil

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
Here is what i did back in 2010 if i can remember the date right. From left to right. Senegalus, ansorgii, iclown knifefish, irwini, australian lungfish, irwini, gaft, silver aro and ropefish and lapradei in the middle
wow cool! mind if i ask how you cleaned and mounted the lapradei? I searched the forums before I did my senegal and saw a lot of your work. I was gonna try to do a full body thing like you did, but since my senegal died with a bloated abdomen, the scales were all loose and it didn't hold up well after defrosting the body.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Most of what I did where boiled in alcohol. Never use boiling water as it makes the bone soft and britle. Easier to clean as well. Never use bleach too as it will make the bones to end up powdery. Only use bleach about 3% and mix with water to whiten it up. I cut the belly opened and gutted it out. While the scales are still flicable. U can stuff it up with wet papertowel and u can mouth whatever u want to place it on. Once dry, it will be harder to flex the scales. Once dry u can spray with top coat if u want to. Use clear coat or matte finish. Clear coat will give it shine. Matte will give it a flat base look.

cephalofoil

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
Most of what I did where boiled in alcohol. Never use boiling water as it makes the bone soft and britle. Easier to clean as well. Never use bleach too as it will make the bones to end up powdery. Only use bleach about 3% and mix with water to whiten it up. I cut the belly opened and gutted it out. While the scales are still flicable. U can stuff it up with wet papertowel and u can mouth whatever u want to place it on. Once dry, it will be harder to flex the scales. Once dry u can spray with top coat if u want to. Use clear coat or matte finish. Clear coat will give it shine. Matte will give it a flat base look.
What kind of alcohol? Rubbing? Isopropyl? Does it work on fish that don't have ganoid scales? I'm assuming it would work with gar.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store