My sump/filter/fuge thingamajig..

FishKeepingNoob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
Eastern NC
Nothing special but I got bored so I figured I post it here. :screwy:

Figured I'd invest in some extra filtering for the 75 gallon since I have a growing Oscar in there. Researched here and found some ideas that helped me design mine. I didn't take "in progress" pictures so I just took a few today of the finished product. I picked a 20 long up for free since it had a crack in one of the panes.

The drip plate and the bottom piece that the scrubbers will sit on. I was trying to save as much $$ as possible so instead of spending the 12 bucks at Lowes for light diffuser, I made my own piece from mirrored acrylic. All the dividers, drip plate, supports, and top lid are made from this stuff which my dad scored for free. So basically, my costs so far are time and silicone. Too bad I can't make a pump... :(

Now this box thing sitting above the top of the tank is going to be where the prefilter material is going to be housed. The drain from the overflow box will dump into this and onto media of increasing fineness.

In the case of the media becoming completely clogged up, there is a small section in which the water will overflow in to. The divider is about an inch below the top of the box. If that happens, the water will simply spill over it, and directly onto the drip plate. I needed to have some kind of failsafe since the box was on top of the filter. The idea behind the raised box is to allow me more scrubbers(or other media) above the water level in the filter. Probably unecessary, but I tend to overdo things..

Well, there it is. All I need to do is peel off the protective paper backing on some of the pieces and clean it out. Once I make the overflow and buy a pump, I should be ready to go. :) Thanks for looking.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Interesting idea for the prefilter, I like it. Too bad I've already pretty much finished my sump or I might steal this idea.

You'll have to let us know how effective it is once you get it running.

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
Very nice work! The mirrored acrylic throws me off, but great craftsmanship, nonetheless.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Great job. Definitely looks professional.

FishKeepingNoob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
Eastern NC
Thanks guys. I wanted clear, but I was grateful my dad was able to get anything. The first picture of the tank will fool you if you don't know it's mirrored. The leftmost divider is actually reflecting the image from the grass, but it looks like you are looking right through it. Curious to see what the refuge will look like if I decide to put plants in there.

Dylema

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
What will you put in the center section? Plants, Algae, DSB? I am planning something very similar and am curious about this plan. Looks very neat and tidy, great work.

Dylan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store