My sump/filter/fuge thingamajig..

FishKeepingNoob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
Eastern NC
Dylema;4533853; said:
What will you put in the center section? Plants, Algae, DSB? I am planning something very similar and am curious about this plan. Looks very neat and tidy, great work.

Dylan
I was planning on some kind of vegetation to help with nitrates. I considered sand, but I was concerned about it becoming waterborne and being pulled into the pump.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
That is one of the cleanest sumps I have seen in a while.

Nice work

Dylema

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
I was thinking about having a combination of a DSB, floating plants such as a duckweed that grows extremely quickly for nitrogen removal and also peat for water conditioning. I am still unsure about the sand due to possible difficulties getting it to function effectively and safely rather than concern about the pump. I think if you have a slow enough flow and/or have a layer of fine gravel and there is a decent height of the baffle you shouldn't have a problem with sand in the pump.

Dylan

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Great idea, thanks man!

I was think of how to place a W/D into a running sump without usually silicone. Guess I would be getting some Acrylic later.

Joe M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
North East
I like it. I would have made that mechanical section able to hold filter sock because that's what I prefer, but it really looks fantastic.

Great job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store