Need help ID with this eel I might rescue

Pliny

Feeder Fish
Jun 30, 2024
Hello,

I need help with the ID of this eel.

I have a 60 gallon tank that I was going to use for a snowflake salt water moray eel, but then this eel showed up on a rehoming page for free. It’s currently in a 60 gallon brackish tank. I have a soft spot for rescues and it’s a free. However, I don’t know how big these can get. Someone told me it could be a mud eel.

If I took it I would use the water it’s currently n and slowly change it over my water and salt mix

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like g. tile.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
I agree it looks like Gymnothorax tile, commonly called the Indian mud moray or freshwater snowflake eel.
They will do best in high brackish when mature.

Either way, these fish would do best in at least a 6 foot tank imo. They are inactive, but having seen E. nebulosa full grown I definitely couldn’t imagine one in a tank only twice as long as it is (and that’s assuming it stays at the small end of its size range). Same goes for the g. Tile which also reaches 24 inches.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Yes for Gymnothorax tile. I've got one that is about 20" with a couple figure 8 puffers. As with any moray, it will eat about any fish it can get a hold of. What are the dimensions of your tank? Is your tank currently set up as brackish or salt?
In the picture posted above, that is a sad looking tank. The eel needs some cover (large shell, reef rocks, etc).

Reactions: Deadeye and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store