NEED HELP! My Jardini Arowana has lost his tail fins

Moiz4got

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2019
Mumbai
Guys,

My Arowana is into some serious issues. He caught some kind of infection yesterday. I have started the treatment in the tank but unformtunately his tank mate the red eye giant gourami has eaten up his tail fins today while no one was home.

This is a 70L tank and just got this arowana a couple of days back and was working on making a bigger tank for him.

The tank has:
1 Arowana
1 Giant Gourami
3 Clown Loaches
2 Silver Dollar (which i have already asked the LFS guy to take it back this moring as i was feeling it too crowded)

Pls can someone suggest how do i treat him to get his fins back. I have already removed the giant gourami from the tank.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-05 at 19.07.07.jpeg

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
70L is only roughly 20 gallons correct? How big are each of these fish?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You say that no one was home at the time so are you sure the gourami ate the aro's fins? I have never heard of them doing that and the fin damage looks more like rot than eaten away by another fish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d separate the fish and add some salt 1 tsp per g. If u’ve started a medication already then finish it and wait it out. Reduce stress and make sure it eats.

Moiz4got

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2019
Mumbai
I’d separate the fish and add some salt 1 tsp per g. If u’ve started a medication already then finish it and wait it out. Reduce stress and make sure it eats.
I have added salt and medicine yesterday when i first saw the infection on this body and head. it almost 24 hours now

Both of them are seperated and i will feed him worms in a while as he is accustomed to live food only and does not touch pallets / sticks at all

Can you pls tell me if the fin is going to be ok for him to swim? or in time will it grow again ??

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have added salt and medicine yesterday when i first saw the infection on this body and head. it almost 24 hours now

Both of them are seperated and i will feed him worms in a while as he is accustomed to live food only and does not touch pallets / sticks at all

Can you pls tell me if the fin is going to be ok for him to swim? or in time will it grow again ??
The fins should grow back and swim normally.

Reactions: Moiz4got

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you for your reply.. its ok to keep the Loach in the tank right or should i even remove them from the tank ?
I would leave the loach as I don’t expect any aggression from the loaches.

Reactions: Moiz4got

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I was more going for the heavy bioload on that tank. That is a lot of bigger fish in a small tank. In addition to separating the fish I would monitor water conditions closely. I imagine nitrates are fairly high unless water changes are being done daily. An injured fish with less than pristine water parameters can lead to other issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store