Need ID for my catfish

horopgedrik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2015
Bumi Arema
this is the first one exported out of Suriname into the hobby to my knowledge, compare this to the Brazil one. The picture is of the same fish 8 months later.

View attachment 1141733
Here is the Brazil one, these are super expensive and hard to get, but notice the difference from the Suriname one

Such wonderful B. filamentosum specimens! Eager to get the suriname variety!
After seeing the true 2 fila specimens you gave, I can see very noticeable differences between brazil and suriname specimens.
Suriname specimen has very slender body, light body color, and very clearly w-shape mouth when juvenile, but lost (or not clearly visible) in sub-adult.
So my conclusion, the mouth shape can't be use as distinction between fila n capa (like most of people do in market).

And now I can see the most obvious thing, that all that fila specimens has thin, and very deeply forked tail when juvenile, both of my 2 first piraiba fishes (one of them is capa for sure) didn't have tail like that when I bought it (undamaged shape).

My last fish very similar to your B. filamentosum specimen from brazil by the way. Dorsal and pectoral fin color (very dark), size of spot, barbel length, body color, eating behaviour, etc. all are very similar to mine. Maybe it looks slightly different than my fish, because my fish got full stomach when I took picture of it, or maybe because of angle, lighting, and refraction effect of my tank.

Here more picture of mine, when the size was around 6 cm (at August 29, 2015):IMG-20150829-WA0004.jpg

And this picture that I just took, now already at 12 cm, he suddenly got stressed little bit because of bright lamp (September 24, 2015):20150924_160220.jpg
20150924_160159.jpg

Anyway, my biggest question is, are there any undescribed Brachyplatystoma species, especially for species that closer to filamentosum and capapretum in the wild? or hybrid between them maybe?
Because I can see sooooo many varieties of species in Brachyplatystoma genus (B. juruense for example, a lot of varieties on it) :confused:
And after seeing your suriname piraiba, I think impossible for me to get all the piraiba specimens collection :confused: too much $$$ and space for it :D

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
and indeed your most recent acquisition looks most like a filamentosum, and possibly the angle from makes it look different. but I'm willing to bet that it came from Peru, which would be the 3rd variety. I believe that evolution and speciation takes shape just like the way we describe it, so when separated by some distance, they look a bit different, and more so the farther apart they are. Or is it possible that they hybridize in the wild sometimes, its not entirely ruled out either

Such wonderful B. filamentosum specimens! Eager to get the suriname variety!
After seeing the true 2 fila specimens you gave, I can see very noticeable differences between brazil and suriname specimens.
Suriname specimen has very slender body, light body color, and very clearly w-shape mouth when juvenile, but lost (or not clearly visible) in sub-adult.
So my conclusion, the mouth shape can't be use as distinction between fila n capa (like most of people do in market).

And now I can see the most obvious thing, that all that fila specimens has thin, and very deeply forked tail when juvenile, both of my 2 first piraiba fishes (one of them is capa for sure) didn't have tail like that when I bought it (undamaged shape).

My last fish very similar to your B. filamentosum specimen from brazil by the way. Dorsal and pectoral fin color (very dark), size of spot, barbel length, body color, eating behaviour, etc. all are very similar to mine. Maybe it looks slightly different than my fish, because my fish got full stomach when I took picture of it, or maybe because of angle, lighting, and refraction effect of my tank.

Here more picture of mine, when the size was around 6 cm (at August 29, 2015):View attachment 1141766

And this picture that I just took, now already at 12 cm, he suddenly got stressed little bit because of bright lamp (September 24, 2015):View attachment 1141767
View attachment 1141768

Anyway, my biggest question is, are there any undescribed Brachyplatystoma species, especially for species that closer to filamentosum and capapretum in the wild? or hybrid between them maybe?
Because I can see sooooo many varieties of species in Brachyplatystoma genus (B. juruense for example, a lot of varieties on it) :confused:
And after seeing your suriname piraiba, I think impossible for me to get all the piraiba specimens collection :confused: too much $$$ and space for it :D

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
Third one in the first pic you posted looks like cap to me, Imo.
Beautiful cats collection, btw. Congrats :)

Last edited:

horopgedrik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2015
Bumi Arema
and indeed your most recent acquisition looks most like a filamentosum, and possibly the angle from makes it look different. but I'm willing to bet that it came from Peru, which would be the 3rd variety. I believe that evolution and speciation takes shape just like the way we describe it, so when separated by some distance, they look a bit different, and more so the farther apart they are. Or is it possible that they hybridize in the wild sometimes, its not entirely ruled out either
Yap, only time will tell the truth.
I really push on their growth right now. Want to know the maximal growth rate for each species.

Third one in the first pic you posted looks like cap to me, Imo.
Beautiful cats collection, btw. Congrats :)
Previously I thought that 3rd fish was a capa also, just like you.
Before I realized and get astonished about its actual growth rate.
I think the 3rd specimen neither capa nor fila, just like something between them (base on growth rate).

Thank you by the way :) those fish are truly nature beauty.
But with big fish comes great responsibility :p
It looks like my pond should be established by the next year.
They grow pretty damn fast.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... but I'm willing to bet that it came from Peru, which would be the 3rd variety...
Wes, are saying that no fila can come from Peru but only from Suriname and Brazil?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store