New fish lifer!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
A buddy and I went yesterday to the nearby Red River to partake of some of the best Channel Cat fishing available in the world; I love that place! The fish were hitting just as well as our last two trips, but a weird combination of current and wind had produced a situation in one spot that resembled the pics often shown of the Amazon, where a "black-water" river meets a "white-water" one and the two types seem not to mix, maintaining a sharp delineation of the two colours. A pair of cormorants was fishing very successfully right in front of us in the clear stuff, and my buddy commented that they were catching some nice Goldeyes. My ears perked right up at that...

Goldeye are common here in Manitoba, everybody is familiar with them and doesn't give them a second thought. I'm an expatriate from Ontario, and I knew their close relative, the Mooneye, from that province. I never caught many Mooneyes, certainly never pursued them intentionally and was unimpressed by their appearance and their strong unusual odour. Checking the range maps of the two species revealed that apparently Goldeye also existed back in my home stomping grounds, but I had never seen one before. Goldeye (Hiodon alosoides) and Mooneye (H. tergisus) are the only two species in the family Hiodontidae, and their appeal to me lies largely in the fact that many of the small panfish that I grew up catching back home in southern Ontario simply don't occur here in Manitoba. With few sunfish species and few places to catch them here, the Goldeye fills in that fishing niche for most anglers.

I quickly grabbed an ultralight rod and rigged up with a float, a small circle hook and a tiny frozen shiner. Within minutes I had landed my first-ever Goldeye...and this foot-long fish thrilled me far more than just another big fat catfish, so much so that I continued to fish for the little guys for the rest of the day while my buddy continued to catch 30+ inch cats and looked at me like I was nuts. The bite was consistent; if it died down at all then simply moving over a bit to find the school started it right back up again. These are small fish...it takes only 14 inches to qualify one for Master Angler status...but they are fast and feisty on the hook, and have a lovely irridescence in direct sunlight. Lots of tiny sharp teeth show them to be predators; they are clean and silvery and make me think of a marine species when I hold one.

A new Lifer is always a thrill! I'm going to devote some time to this species in future; but I will likely wait for a lull in the catfishing next time. :)

PXL_20240610_163655156.jpg

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I love fishing!

We went back to the same spot, and my intention was to catch a bunch of Goldeyes. I was shooting for a Master Angler specimen (minimum 14 inches) but also had a bucket in which i hoped to bring home a dozen or so to cut up and freeze for future use as catfish bait.

My buddy set up his catfish rig, and I baited up the same little light spinning rig that had paid off so well for me last time with these cool little fish. A half hour later he had already released his first big cat, and I had...nothing! Ignoring his derisive comments, I soldiered on, experimenting with different baits, depths, presentations, current types, water clarities, etc. but I had no takers.

Finally he caught another cat, a very nice one, and I rose to help land it. As we unhooked it, a loud clattering started up, and I turned just in time to see my rod...along with the fishing chair to which it was clamped!...sliding towards the water at a good clip. Fish on! I grabbed the rig before it disappeared into the river and knew immediately I was into something big, but what? The tiny hook tied onto 6-pound line, baited with a miniscule frozen minnow perhaps 2 inches long, had been geared towards little guys. I was puzzled, excited, concerned (due to the light tackle), and the battle was on.

The fish was relentless; I gathered up ten feet of line and then lost eight; retrieved 6 but lost 4; quickly gained another dozen, and then lost 20. Finally the float came into view in the murky water, then a big tail fin, and at last I could see it...a big cat, very dark. He was tiring but far from exhausted, but I got him up onto the shore and quickly slipped the tiny circle hook from the corner of his mouth. Snapped a couple quick pics, took a measurement (39 inches, 5 more than required for Master Angler status for this species) and carefully released him. He took off immediately and appeared none the worse for wear.

Certainly my best cat this year, and one of my best ever, but what really made it special was the look of the fish. Many Channel Cats are beautiful, silvery, sleek and clean, the racecars of the catfish world with a sleek powerful body and the deeply forked tail of a fast strong swimmer. This fish was obviously very old; colouration was exceptionally dark, the body crisscrossed with numerous old scars from rocks, propellers, who knows what? He exuded an air of advanced age, a fish that had been there and done that for years, and had probably been hauled out of the water and then lovingly released by many anglers in the past. I could practically read his mind: "Yeah, yeah, fine, okay, you fooled me. Good for you; now let's finish this BS and get me back into the river, okay? A-hole!!!"

He absolutely was not beautiful; he absolutely was a true trophy fish in every sense of the word. :) I love catfish!

big ol' catfish.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I love fishing!

We went back to the same spot, and my intention was to catch a bunch of Goldeyes. I was shooting for a Master Angler specimen (minimum 14 inches) but also had a bucket in which i hoped to bring home a dozen or so to cut up and freeze for future use as catfish bait.

My buddy set up his catfish rig, and I baited up the same little light spinning rig that had paid off so well for me last time with these cool little fish. A half hour later he had already released his first big cat, and I had...nothing! Ignoring his derisive comments, I soldiered on, experimenting with different baits, depths, presentations, current types, water clarities, etc. but I had no takers.

Finally he caught another cat, a very nice one, and I rose to help land it. As we unhooked it, a loud clattering started up, and I turned just in time to see my rod...along with the fishing chair to which it was clamped!...sliding towards the water at a good clip. Fish on! I grabbed the rig before it disappeared into the river and knew immediately I was into something big, but what? The tiny hook tied onto 6-pound line, baited with a miniscule frozen minnow perhaps 2 inches long, had been geared towards little guys. I was puzzled, excited, concerned (due to the light tackle), and the battle was on.

The fish was relentless; I gathered up ten feet of line and then lost eight; retrieved 6 but lost 4; quickly gained another dozen, and then lost 20. Finally the float came into view in the murky water, then a big tail fin, and at last I could see it...a big cat, very dark. He was tiring but far from exhausted, but I got him up onto the shore and quickly slipped the tiny circle hook from the corner of his mouth. Snapped a couple quick pics, took a measurement (39 inches, 5 more than required for Master Angler status for this species) and carefully released him. He took off immediately and appeared none the worse for wear.

Certainly my best cat this year, and one of my best ever, but what really made it special was the look of the fish. Many Channel Cats are beautiful, silvery, sleek and clean, the racecars of the catfish world with a sleek powerful body and the deeply forked tail of a fast strong swimmer. This fish was obviously very old; colouration was exceptionally dark, the body crisscrossed with numerous old scars from rocks, propellers, who knows what? He exuded an air of advanced age, a fish that had been there and done that for years, and had probably been hauled out of the water and then lovingly released by many anglers in the past. I could practically read his mind: "Yeah, yeah, fine, okay, you fooled me. Good for you; now let's finish this BS and get me back into the river, okay? A-hole!!!"

He absolutely was not beautiful; he absolutely was a true trophy fish in every sense of the word. :) I love catfish!

View attachment 1545069
Great catch.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Nice cat! We caught a few big ones on a recent camping trip. Not really something I normally go after, most of my reels are setup with 4lb line. I was more excited about the large gar I caught.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Nice cat! We caught a few big ones on a recent camping trip. Not really something I normally go after, most of my reels are setup with 4lb line. I was more excited about the large gar I caught.
Gar were common in the stomping grounds of my boyhood in southern Ontario, but for whatever reason we rarely fished for them. The few folks I knew who actively pursued them used tangled balls of yarn, in which the gar's teeth would become entangled long enough to sling them into the boat. No hooks involved, so the fish tended to be completely undamaged and could have been easily released...but "live release" fishing was an alien concept to those fishermen. Every fish they caught...by any means...regardless of open/closed seasons or other minor details...went straight into the bucket to be taken home and either eaten themselves or fed to their dogs (and chickens!).

Cats, on the other hand, were huge favourites of mine, ever since a very young version of me caught a "big" one while fishing with my father in the Detroit River. The fish was laughably small by my standards of today, but back then it was to me a monster that dwarfed the sunnies, rock bass and perch that made up the bulk of my catches. It was far from my first fish, but it was The One that transformed me from a happy-go-lucky casual bystander into a serious fisherman. :)

Here's the behemoth; after 60+ years of hunting and fishing, this old 'trophy" pic is still one of my two or three absolute favourites. Just check out those steely eyes, that heroic pose, that big s**t-eating grin...dang, I haven't changed a bit! :)

1962 catfish.jpg

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Good thing you didn't turn around and get scared by those two gigantic shark fins sneaking up behind you!
Bah! I was fearless! :)

The pic is dated June 1963, meaning that I was just coming up on my 6th birthday...meaning that my father was just beginning to let me fish without tying a big rope around my waist and attaching the other end to the huge metal mooring points set into the concrete pier (I think that's what the "shark fins" are). For the first few years of my fishing career, that had been the safety mechanism in use to prevent me from going for unauthorized swims. This dock/pier was used for loading/unloading huge Great Lakes and even seagoing freighters; it was a straight drop of 5 or 10 feet from the concrete edge to the water surface, and then straight down to the bottom 30feet below.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store