New lungfish!!

Cheesyclop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2022
Florida
IMG_3098.jpegIMG_3096.jpegIMG_3085.jpegIMG_3088.jpeg
I recently picked up this lungfish from a lfs sold as an “African lungfish” I’m assuming it’s a West African lungfish, Protopterus annectens. It is about 9-10 inches if I had to guess. I noticed it had an injury on its side. Any guesses of what it could be or how to treat it? I’ve done tons of research on these guys but this is my first so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I had a similar type ulcer/open wound on a lung around this size before. I removed the fish, dabbed betadine solution on the wound and returned it to the tank. It healed up in a couple weeks. It may take a few treatments of betadine. Just keep ur water clean as normal so no infection sets in. When u take the fish out inspect the would to make sure theres no parasite in there or anything. If so try and remove it with tweezers then use the betadine. Lungs are pretty hardy, if the betadine does not work you can try a bacterial/fungal treatment.

Reactions: Cheesyclop

Cheesyclop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2022
Florida
I had a similar type ulcer/open wound on a lung around this size before. I removed the fish, dabbed betadine solution on the wound and returned it to the tank. It healed up in a couple weeks. It may take a few treatments of betadine. Just keep ur water clean as normal so no infection sets in. When u take the fish out inspect the would to make sure theres no parasite in there or anything. If so try and remove it with tweezers then use the betadine. Lungs are pretty hardy, if the betadine does not work you can try a bacterial/fungal treatment.
Any brand of betadine specifically? Do I just dilute it and put it on with a q-tip? Thank you for the suggestion

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Any brand of betadine specifically? Do I just dilute it and put it on with a q-tip? Thank you for the suggestion
Dont think it matters no… i picked up a bottle from cvs years ago when i needed it. I did not dilute it either. Itell dilute or wash off as soon as u put the fish back in the tank. Basically just an antiseptic to ensure no infection sets in and itell help the wound heal.

Cheesyclop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2022
Florida
Dont think it matters no… i picked up a bottle from cvs years ago when i needed it. I did not dilute it either. Itell dilute or wash off as soon as u put the fish back in the tank. Basically just an antiseptic to ensure no infection sets in and itell help the wound heal.
Thank you for the advice. Any tips or suggestions for keeping this soon to be beast?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thank you for the advice. Any tips or suggestions for keeping this soon to be beast?
They like to sift substrate and ive never had one refuse sinking pellets… they dont grow all that quick which isnt a terrible thing. I hit 32-33” in 10yrs and it maxed out there. Could live in a 180gal for life minimum. You should b able to do tank mates until its 2’ or so. Problem with small lungs is they can get picked on by most fish… problem with large lungs is they pick on most fish lol…. Gotta do trial and error and see what works either way.

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
When you take it out of the tank to dab the betadine on the ulcer I would recommend placing it in a damp towel to protect the rest of its slime coat from damage in case it thrashes 👍🏼

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store