Not to be an ass, but...

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Does not address the part of the question about why used tank asking prices are high on the east coast.
Well, if hobbyists on the east coast are willing to pay those prices then they're turning it into a sellers market!

Maybe they should collectively hold off on buying huge tanks for a while, prices will come down and then you'll have a much more competitive and hobbyist friendly buyers market. :thumbsup:

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I tell you one thing: Id hate to take someone's used 500 only to find it has a leak! Not to mention the logistics of moving/shipping/installing the sucker. I'm aware of Cali's prices in the land I call "Shake and Bake USA". Don't know if some of those people got tanks before cost of living skyrocketed or not. I spent a whole summer in a student internship out there in San Fran/Berkeley/Oakland/Livermore and prices were nuts with several people sharing homes. And on the tanks they want to unload BIG fish too half the time. By the time you go through all that you may as well save up for a year and go new. Maybe someone posting her from Cali selling a big tank can explain their situation.

But I loved Frisco, though.

Here's typical east coast prices. To show how whack it all is my 225 tempered with a metal/paneled stand total was about $4750 four years ago. Your numbers may vary...

View attachment 1548325
12,000??? Thats nuts. I would never pay that much for a tank unless it were 5x that size. lol

Hell, I'd rather get a pond. I reckon that'll be cheaper than that tank; if you do it mostly yourself, it would be even cheaper.

Reactions: FINWIN and AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I don't know where you guys live but things here are very cheap. Its like you live on a whole other planet lol.
A standard 55 gallon tank here in ksa is 200 USD while a 125 gallon is 450 USD. Similarly other things/accessories are also very cheap here as compared to those in your countries.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I don't know where you guys live but things here are very cheap. Its like you live on a whole other planet lol.
A standard 55 gallon tank here in ksa is 200 USD while a 125 gallon is 450 USD. Similarly other things/accessories are also very cheap here as compared to those in your countries.
Same here. I paid for my 55-gallon, around 250, I think (it was a set, not just the tank).

Reactions: AR1

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
I live in NYC been here 24 years and some times i wish i lived back in Cali i see the trade market and see 500 gallon tanks for 500-800 dollars.
I own a moving company and i move a lot of people to the cali area mostly northern cali but just a heads up Austin TX is the place i move most people too.
I have thought about moving to FL and if i do i would sell my 125 but keep my 2 FX6 filters as those seem to always sell high for a used one but tanks are a lot cheaper.
In Greenwich, CT i found a brand new 125 drilled with stand and canopy, sump, pumps, PVC and delivered and install for $1700.

Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Well, if hobbyists on the east coast are willing to pay those prices then they're turning it into a sellers market!

Maybe they should collectively hold off on buying huge tanks for a while, prices will come down and then you'll have a much more competitive and hobbyist friendly buyers market. :thumbsup:
LOL ain't no revolution here...but I think living conditions may have something to do with the overall market too...a lot of east coast is dense with smaller space so the market once you get past the 125 store package is small.

Also the major distribution centers are mostly Midwest or out West. So even if you get a good price on the tank you're back to paying freight, tax, and installation (unless you're the Hulk).

Only way to get something really cheap here is call the smaller fish stores and see if they have any leftover tanks in storage to get rid of. And then make sure they aren't old qt tanks with leaks.

1725032900352.png

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When people see large, colorful, beautiful fish tanks on TV, or a commercially upkept, tank in a restaurant its easy to be seduced.

But a few months later when that large tank becomes a smelly, open sewer ,
as they find out what type maintanence, and upkeep is involved in taking care of those (our) tanks, they end up on Ebay for pennies on the $.

Its funny when I lived in the states I had over 20 tanks, and 18 of them, I got for free on the side of the road, of picked up for almost nothing on Craigs list,

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store