Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Let's hope they don't pass laws banning lungs because they produce carbon dioxide
What did you think was the purpose of meditation?

Those bags are wasteful, as most people just throw them out. They serve no purpose other then to swell our garbage dumps.

I personally am annoyed because I use these bags to carry things, as garbage bags, and have just learned that you can weld them together with a clothes iron to make strong, flexible waterproof sheeting that can be used for watertight shed roofs, boat hulls, raincoats, etc., or weld them to broken HDPE/LDPE things to fix them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Don't know how much you've traveled or where you live but NY is no different than any large city. Philly, San Fran, Miami, Atlanta, and all of the other large cities I've been to equally suck. I'll tell you one thing I doubt many cities would have pulled through a 9/11 event like NYC did.
All the big cities are hell, I've been to to many

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Don't know how much you've traveled or where you live but NY is no different than any large city. Philly, San Fran, Miami, Atlanta, and all of the other large cities I've been to equally suck. I'll tell you one thing I doubt many cities would have pulled through a 9/11 event like NYC did.
All the big cities are hell, I've been to to many

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I wasn't limiting my scope
I'm suggesting that there is no evidence that the ocean ecosystem has been harmed
Isn't banning plastic bags in New Jersey (or California), at a time when the US produces 0.9% of all the plastic waste in the ocean, a bit extreme, and more like virtue signaling?
99.1% chance that everything in those animals didn't come from here.
Hello; Again an interesting view point. So allowing consideration of all possible plastic that makes it's way into the worlds oceans without any limiting of scope, you still suggest that no evidence exists of harm to the ocean ecosystem. I have seen film and photos of sea animals trapped in plastic such as sea turtles tangled with plastic. If we count fishing nets made of plastic we can add whales to the list.

Where the plastic comes from is good to know and the point that some of us are less guilty than others is also good to know. I do however like to keep my impact footprint small for the most part. Being able to point out a bigger polluter than myself is handy if all I want to do is have a somewhat less negative impact than the worst guy.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The irony of course is that:

1) The top 5 countries that put the plastic in the oceans doesn't include, wait for it, the US. Sixty percent comes from east asia. Therefore, regardless of what we do, the issue isn't going away.

https://qz.com/595673/more-than-half-the-plastic-in-the-ocean-comes-from-these-five-countries/

2) Virtually all of the plastic has degraded to a size so small that it can't and shouldn't be physically removed. So those pictures of bags and bottles represents almost none of the actual plastic in the ocean. But it sells well to "greenies" to see a floating bottle or bag.

https://www.sea.edu/plastics/frequently_asked_questions

3) That no one can actually demonstrate how this will ecologically affect the oceans or it's biological processes. Yes, it will be there a long time, but it's speculative if that will actually harm the ocean.

But oh well. This is really what happens when people determined to save the environment descend to the least common denominator and ban, ban, ban. Let's hope they don't pass laws banning lungs because they produce carbon dioxide.
Actually we do know (to a degree) that this microplastic is harmful, it has been shown to kill fish, even cause sex changes in fish, even render them sterile, I can't imagine what it does to us when we eat them (although I think one study showed it may cause E.D)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; plastic is somewhat inert and non reactive so it is not going to be a toxin like mercury or lead. My take is the sheer volume is one factor. After all it is trash.

Another factor on initial consideration is if the gut of an animal is loaded with a volume of even inert stuff, then that bulk should interfere with the normal processing of food.

I do not have knowledge as to why a tax was placed on plastic bags. May be only another version of a "sin tax" with little or no thought of the environment. I generally do not like sin taxes on things such as tobacco, alcohol or sugary drinks.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Hello; plastic is somewhat inert and non reactive so it is not going to be a toxin like mercury or lead. My take is the sheer volume is one factor. After all it is trash.

Another factor on initial consideration is if the gut of an animal is loaded with a volume of even inert stuff, then that bulk should interfere with the normal processing of food.

I do not have knowledge as to why a tax was placed on plastic bags. May be only another version of a "sin tax" with little or no thought of the environment. I generally do not like sin taxes on things such as tobacco, alcohol or sugary drinks.
Actually over time plastics tend to leach toxins into the enviorment.

I think a sin tax is not ok for things that generally only harm oneself, but I support a sin tax on cigarettes because that is proven to be deadly to others and to the general enviorment, this tax should go towards treating respiratory and cancer problems, and to cleaning up smog

Reactions: J. H.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The biting flies are horrible this year.I cant even sit out on my porch and enjoy the breeze without them attacking me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store