One proven way to treat ich/ick

Gershom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2024
I am writing this because it is something that comes up so often.
Ich is a protozoal infection that afflicts fish and can rapidly kill them, most often by damaging gill tissue.
The organism goes through a life cycle of;
a small white spot feeding on your fish,
which drops off to the floor of your tank and encysts,
while encysted it divides into up to 2000 new mobile organisms,
the cyst ruptures, releasing the mobile organisms which seek out a host.
Only the mobile stage is vulnerable to treatment by anything that will not also kill your fish.

Here is an old fashioned but very effective method for treatment.
It can be used for most fish but morymids, corys, and some pims are sensitive to salt. Because the organism infest the tank, the whole tank should be treated.

Raise the temp of your tank to at least 85-86 degrees F.
Add aquarium salt (dissolved in water) at a ratio of 2 teaspoons of salt per gallon of water in your tank.
Now wait, while waiting it does not hurt to add a powerhead or airstone to increase the O2 level.
Over the first couple days your fish will look worse but then they will clear up. about the sixth day they will look clear but because some ecystments have not yet hatched keep the treatment up for the full 10 days.
If you are not able to raise the temperature you need to extend the treatment, at 85 the ich's life cycle is quick but at 72 it can take weeks, below 70F treat for 6 weeks.

There are medicines you can use but many fish are sensitive to them, you can also try just heat at 90-91 degrees F but some fish can't take that heat and some strains of ich can survive it.
The salt and heat method is one I have used several times with sucess.
This is interesting—considering the contrary opinion of a guy on Aquariumscience. I am very inclined to do as you suggest, but I am still uncertain about the diagnosis of ich (vs epistylis). I have 7 CA cichlids under 2 inches in a 29 hi at 77 degrees. Water is about 7.2 pH, 100-140 GH, low KH, nitrates about 40, nitrites and ammonia 0. I have a BOT, an in-tank sponge filter and an airstone. There are happy bamboos with roots in the water.
The RTAs all have moderate white spots but one of 3 red terrors is clean and another almost clean. Interesting , the RTs brought the disease home and gave it to the RTMs. (No quarantine —my fault ). I have been treating with an API ich remedy and no added heat for 10 days, without much change.
Any ideas?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have always used salt. It works without failure. Tank temperature does not need to be high. High temp only speeds up the ich life cycle to a degree. Temps at about 80 and you will see results in 3-5 days. I always use the salt for 10 days to 2 weeks.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store