Oscar behaviour/stocking?

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Thanks, definitely something to consider. Might have to look into purchasing something I could use as a temporary divider during feeding time if I do go through with this stocking plan.
The guys and gals in the polypterus section can definitely help with feeding and compatibility questions. I think the aggression between bichir is often more pronounced with conspecifics than differing species.

Reactions: BenPen

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
my personal, first time oscar keeper experience.
I have a 210g tank 7x2x2.
I have 4 oscars , 2 @ 9 inchs, 1 @ 7 inchs and another at 4 inches. all get alone, once in a while I have the 7 inches chase the 2 big girls but nothing unexpected for "aggressive " fish.
I also have four bichirs in there. an albino senegal, senegal, a delhezi and a endli. all at about 6 inchs roughly.
all the fish get alone and water parameters are good.

they all are very active and personable. when I get home from home all my oscars huddle over to the edge of the tank closest to the from door and just act excited to see me, also do that any time I get near the glass. very awesome fish and glad i got them.

personally since iv had good success with my stocking in my 210, I honestly don't think I will have problems when they are all at 12inchs . other than the maintenance to keep water clean. if I had your 240 I would definitely stock the same stocking I have in mine, maybe one or 2 more senegal since those guys are so active and fun to watch.

just my 2 cents

20180708_203518_1531107452555.jpg

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
They wouldn't pair up and beat the crap out of each other? I've never kept more than one so I don't know, but that doesn't seem like a lot of space for 6.
with 8ft of room its cutting it close If u have like amazing filtration you can do it an oscar gets around 12-14inches on average so there should be plenty of room but I would recommend 2 oscars and a big group of tiger silver dollars and throw in a lima shovelnose
If u have 8 or bigger group they look really nice or do a blend of different kinds they look cool as a mixed school

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store