Oscar tank

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I would say a standard 75 is minimum with its 18"width, bigger is always better of course.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I believe for 1 oscar a 125g should be the minimum, 180g is better then you can do friends. they all have the potential to hit 15"+.
That's my personal opinion, I've temporarily kept a 14" oscar (due to bullying) in a 4' 90g and it seemed cruel to me. 6ft minimum length.
If you genuinely have the funds and morality to upgrade then there's nothing wrong with starting one in a 75g.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Its not just about swimming space.
There is also how fast the water becomes oscar urine soup.
A full grown oscar puts out tons of waste, in feces and urine.
And although mega filtration will help a little, the only thing that dilutes the urine, is water changes,
If you are willing to do every other day 50% water changes, a 90 gal might work. And as an oscar grows those changes, must also grow, and become more frequent.
If you are one who can only change 25% once per week, by the end of that week, the tank might be living 50% oscar urine, which leads to chronic disease, and the typical semi adult oscars we see turned into LFSs with hole in the head scarring, gill curl, and other poor water quality maladies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store