outdoor stock tanks...successes and failures

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
seconds times the charm they say hey.

I’m privileged to live in the sunny surroundings south of Sydney, and unlike @jjohnwm’s harsh Canuckistan winters, my water temps very rarely drop below 14 C, although we do get the occasional freak cold snap like the one we had this year where water temps reached 8.

Regardless as seen in the post above I use quite a few different types of tubs. 55 gallon drum ponds which are cut into a 15 and 40 gallon ponds respectively. Also been using rectangle tubs from Bunnings, they work really well for colony’s of fish, as well as new additions in rope-handle buckets and my big Val pond.

Now for species reviews.

I keep a lot of rainbows in these ponds comeback of a summer, mostly fry which grow up outside over summer before moving indoors to continue growing, although there are a few species I keep outdoors year round.

When it comes to rainbows, I keep two Melanotaenia outdoors year round, that being Murray river rainbows, M. fluviatillis and crimson spotted rainbows, M. Duboulayi. These species work great for me and have bread multiple generations of each in the ponds. For those interested the fluvies are from Edwards river and the dubs are from kangaroo creek up in tin can bay.

Another rainbow I’ve kept quite successfully outdoors are rhads, or ornate rainbows, Rhadinocentrus ornatus. These are nice fish, one of my all time favourites. The colour variety in these fellas is next to none. A species which really does well outside, with some of the nicest rhads I’ve seen coming from pond raised fish. There’s a significant difference between tank raised and pond raised rhads. A fish I love and a fish that loves being outdoors. These guys are so underrated and definitely deserve to be way more popular than they are.

Keeping with the atherinid theme, next up are the two species of blue eyes I’ve kept outdoors, that being Pacifics, Pseudomugil signifier and Honeys, Pseudomugil mellis. I’ve kept signifiers for a number of years now. Here’s a vid of some wildcaught fish from the Maroochy river up on the Sunshine Coast that I caught on the last ANGFA convention. ( on a side note it’s a bit crazy it’s been 2 years since then and the next convention is in cairns in under 2 weeks)

Honey blue eyes are a fish that absolutely thrive outdoors. Lovely little fish, my favourite blue eye, they don’t seem to breed in tanks, but it becomes a chore removing fry from their tub when they get going! Simple set up for these fellas, foxtail, azolla and some java moss ontop of a piece of styrofoam which dangles over the edges. They lay in the java moss and I just collected fry when I see them.

058A4E45-6EAE-41EC-9396-4B3D42F03DEF.jpeg
The honey pond.

Another couple of species of fish I’ve kept for a couple years outdoors now are the Pygmy perch, nannoperca sp. I’m yet to breed them, but my mate Chris produces them on mass so I’ll have to pick up some tips from her next week. Currently running westerns, southerns and Yarras.

Another fish that have done well for me are paradise fish, although they never bred for me because turns out I had two males! Regardless plenty of bubble nests so for sure keen to breed.

Kept a couple species of danios in the ponds. These guys pop when out ther. They’ll make a zebra danio turn into a hundred dollar fish. Here’s the thread with some of the choprae I bred a while back now.

Also been keeping a group of southern purple spotted Gudgeons, mogurnda adspersa, the so called zombie fis. These are the Kerang locality from Chris Lamin. Great little fish.

5060DBF5-867E-4043-B8B3-1574AB43BDAC.jpeg

As of late I’ve also been doing some flagfish. Don’t have a clue if they’ve bred, but would be neat if they did

623753B0-23C6-4AAE-B9EB-3C5FDEAADBE0.jpeg

Also, a tool that’s been very beneficial for me is this thing. An old broomstick with an old bucket lid on top. Allows you to see fish in the ponds by putting it underneath them. Very useful for seeing darkly coloured rainbows from above
F62F7C3B-3DEC-48CE-9744-8CE2805E12CE.jpeg

I’m keen to try some other species. Mainly cichlids like geophagus brasiliensis, Gymnogeophagus Balanzi, jack dempseys, Texas cichlids and apistos such as cacatuoides and borellii, which according to my apsito nut mate should do well.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia

I’m privileged to live in the sunny surroundings south of Sydney, and unlike @jjohnwm’s harsh Canuckistan winters, my water temps very rarely drop below 14 C, although we do get the occasional freak cold snap like the one we had this year where water temps reached 8.

Regardless as seen in the post above I use quite a few different types of tubs. 55 gallon drum ponds which are cut into a 15 and 40 gallon ponds respectively. Also been using rectangle tubs from Bunnings, they work really well for colony’s of fish, as well as new additions in rope-handle buckets and my big Val pond.

Now for species reviews.

I keep a lot of rainbows in these ponds comeback of a summer, mostly fry which grow up outside over summer before moving indoors to continue growing, although there are a few species I keep outdoors year round.

When it comes to rainbows, I keep two Melanotaenia outdoors year round, that being Murray river rainbows, M. fluviatillis and crimson spotted rainbows, M. Duboulayi. These species work great for me and have bread multiple generations of each in the ponds. For those interested the fluvies are from Edwards river and the dubs are from kangaroo creek up in tin can bay.

Another rainbow I’ve kept quite successfully outdoors are rhads, or ornate rainbows, Rhadinocentrus ornatus. These are nice fish, one of my all time favourites. The colour variety in these fellas is next to none. A species which really does well outside, with some of the nicest rhads I’ve seen coming from pond raised fish. There’s a significant difference between tank raised and pond raised rhads. A fish I love and a fish that loves being outdoors. These guys are so underrated and definitely deserve to be way more popular than they are.

Keeping with the atherinid theme, next up are the two species of blue eyes I’ve kept outdoors, that being Pacifics, Pseudomugil signifier and Honeys, Pseudomugil mellis. I’ve kept signifiers for a number of years now. Here’s a vid of some wildcaught fish from the Maroochy river up on the Sunshine Coast that I caught on the last ANGFA convention. ( on a side note it’s a bit crazy it’s been 2 years since then and the next convention is in cairns in under 2 weeks)

Honey blue eyes are a fish that absolutely thrive outdoors. Lovely little fish, my favourite blue eye, they don’t seem to breed in tanks, but it becomes a chore removing fry from their tub when they get going! Simple set up for these fellas, foxtail, azolla and some java moss ontop of a piece of styrofoam which dangles over the edges. They lay in the java moss and I just collected fry when I see them.

View attachment 1548757
The honey pond.

Another couple of species of fish I’ve kept for a couple years outdoors now are the Pygmy perch, nannoperca sp. I’m yet to breed them, but my mate Chris produces them on mass so I’ll have to pick up some tips from her next week. Currently running westerns, southerns and Yarras.

Another fish that have done well for me are paradise fish, although they never bred for me because turns out I had two males! Regardless plenty of bubble nests so for sure keen to breed.

Kept a couple species of danios in the ponds. These guys pop when out ther. They’ll make a zebra danio turn into a hundred dollar fish. Here’s the thread with some of the choprae I bred a while back now.

Also been keeping a group of southern purple spotted Gudgeons, mogurnda adspersa, the so called zombie fis. These are the Kerang locality from Chris Lamin. Great little fish.

View attachment 1548758

As of late I’ve also been doing some flagfish. Don’t have a clue if they’ve bred, but would be neat if they did

View attachment 1548759

Also, a tool that’s been very beneficial for me is this thing. An old broomstick with an old bucket lid on top. Allows you to see fish in the ponds by putting it underneath them. Very useful for seeing darkly coloured rainbows from above
View attachment 1548760

I’m keen to try some other species. Mainly cichlids like geophagus brasiliensis, Gymnogeophagus Balanzi, jack dempseys, Texas cichlids and apistos such as cacatuoides and borellii, which according to my apsito nut mate should do well.
Almost forgot as well - how bloody good are white clouds? Easiest fish on then planet

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Firstly, do you have pics of any of the outdoor setups?

Green swords grown outdoors have always been beautiful specimens IMO

If the hoplo's have bred, please post pics of nests and fry!

You may find the desert gobies are experts at darting and hiding with the first sign of an approaching shadow.

Your goldfish science tracks with no issues noted. lol

What's the growth like on the Hypostomus laplatae
Have no pics at the moment but will take a few in the next day or so. I just got home after a brief visit to Ontario for the marriage of my granddaughter; she found a great lad who works as a commercial fisherman...and then, in his spare time, goes fishing with rod and reel! :)

The Green Swordtails have always been among my favourites. They are very cold-tolerant, living well in the low 60F's during winter and then breeding like mice when it warms up. I love 'em.

These Hoplos are Megalechis picta, very similar to the M.thoracatum I had breeding outdoors last year. No idea right now if they have been successful, but I saw a couple of large bubblenests in the duckweed earlier in the summer. They're a very active and alert catfish, and I suspect they stop caring for their young and immediately switch over to eating them. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Comments on the Desert Gobies will be withheld until I see if I still have any!

My Goldfish maintenance is about as far from science as it can get. The black-marked smaller ones have lost almost all their black just in the 4 days that I was away from home. But the fish all look active and healthy, and the outdoor ones have outstripped the growth of their indoor siblings by a significant margin.

I got a couple of H.laplatae plecos at around 4 inches in early summer of 2023. They spent last summer outdoors, but were indoors in 2024. One was inexplicably lost a few months ago but the other one, which overwintered at a cooler temp below 60F, is now a bit over 10 inches long and continues to alternate between staying on display in the open for a few days and then hiding for the next few. This past spring I got a couple smaller ones, maybe 1.5 inches, and they are scattered around the outdoor tanks. No idea how they look, will know soon.

Bloody hell was just midway through the full write up, went to take a piss and the bloody things gone. We really need like a draft thing on the site.
I thought we had a terrific draft function on here. I can start a write-up, get distracted (by a squirrel or something:)) and when I return hours or days later my complete write-up is still waiting for me to continue it.

Now for species reviews.

The honey pond.

Interesting read! I've never kept Rainbows and have never even heard of some your fish. I'd love to get some more Paradise Fish for outdoors, haven't had any for years. I do have a half dozen or so Flagfish outdoors right now and believe that some of the many fry in that tank are theirs; they share a stock tank with latipinna ditch mollies who are very prolific.

The white disc on a handle is a terriific idea that I will be stealing immediately. :)

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Have no pics at the moment but will take a few in the next day or so. I just got home after a brief visit to Ontario for the marriage of my granddaughter; she found a great lad who works as a commercial fisherman...and then, in his spare time, goes fishing with rod and reel! :)

The Green Swordtails have always been among my favourites. They are very cold-tolerant, living well in the low 60F's during winter and then breeding like mice when it warms up. I love 'em.

These Hoplos are Megalechis picta, very similar to the M.thoracatum I had breeding outdoors last year. No idea right now if they have been successful, but I saw a couple of large bubblenests in the duckweed earlier in the summer. They're a very active and alert catfish, and I suspect they stop caring for their young and immediately switch over to eating them. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Comments on the Desert Gobies will be withheld until I see if I still have any!

My Goldfish maintenance is about as far from science as it can get. The black-marked smaller ones have lost almost all their black just in the 4 days that I was away from home. But the fish all look active and healthy, and the outdoor ones have outstripped the growth of their indoor siblings by a significant margin.

I got a couple of H.laplatae plecos at around 4 inches in early summer of 2023. They spent last summer outdoors, but were indoors in 2024. One was inexplicably lost a few months ago but the other one, which overwintered at a cooler temp below 60F, is now a bit over 10 inches long and continues to alternate between staying on display in the open for a few days and then hiding for the next few. This past spring I got a couple smaller ones, maybe 1.5 inches, and they are scattered around the outdoor tanks. No idea how they look, will know soon.

I thought we had a terrific draft function on here. I can start a write-up, get distracted (by a squirrel or something:)) and when I return hours or days later my complete write-up is still waiting for me to continue it.

Interesting read! I've never kept Rainbows and have never even heard of some your fish. I'd love to get some more Paradise Fish for outdoors, haven't had any for years. I do have a half dozen or so Flagfish outdoors right now and believe that some of the many fry in that tank are theirs; they share a stock tank with latipinna ditch mollies who are very prolific.

The white disc on a handle is a terriific idea that I will be stealing immediately. :)
Well hurry up and bloody get some then!

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well hurry up and bloody get some then!
Okay, okay...jeez...! :) Unfortunately, I have more success with fish...than with fish photos...

Here's a couple snaps of goldfish in the inground pond:
goldfish in pond.jpg
Note in the above pic the reflection at upper left of a sun-bleached deer skull; my wife thinks I might have an unhealthy obsession with skulls and bones. There are 13 skulls on the walls and shelves of my den as I type this, many more on walls in library, hallway, plus a bunch of antler and horn mounts. A number of skulls also live in aquariums and ponds as decor. I dunno...maybe she has a point? Naaaah....:)

Here's an overall view of the inground pond. Like a dummy I didn't think to take a shot before beginning to top it up with the hose (we've had a very dry week hereabouts), so no fish easily visible here:

Okay, I've been trying for a half hour now to insert some more pics, but I get that ultra-irritating "Oops! We're having some problems..." message. That's the kiss of death for posting anything for awhile. I'll try again later.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sorry mate I meant get some rainbow fish! Didn’t see I’d replied to your whole big message haha
Lol, oh, well...never mind...:)

I misunderstood, but now that I have actually schlepped my phone all the way across the yard and taken these dang pics, I'm gonna post 'em! :)...assuming the site ever lets me...

I can post text, but when I try to insert the pic..."Ooops, sorry, having problems, you're SOL..." :(

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
More pics here than I've probably downloaded in my entire tenure at MFK. :)

An overall view of the inground pond:
pond  view.jpg
Yeah, should've plucked those weeds out of the deck when I was busy pruning the water plants. This pic is the day after a couple bushels of hornwort, hair algae and guppy grass were removed. My solar-powered bog-filter pump crapped out early this spring, so the pond has reverted to its original unfiltered state. I think I like it better this way.

A few of the pond goldfish; the bigger ones are the ones I got in the spring of 2023 as 1 or 1.5 inch feeders, the smaller are the offspring of those originals and were spawned in this pond.
pond goldfish.jpg

The line-up of stock tanks, all picked up cheap or free except for the 2 smallest:
stocktank lineup.jpg

Close-up of the blue stock tank, housing latipinna "ditch mollies" from Florida and a few Jordanella flagfish. These two species are ravenous consumers of hair algae, so much so that I grab handfuls of the stuff from other stock tanks and throw them in here almost daily. Believe it or not, there are lots of fish and fry in this tank:
blue stocktank closeup.jpg

The smallest two stocktanks, I think 15gallons? A half-dozen Megalechis picta in the right one that have produced bubble nests, but I haven't actually seen more than a brief flash of motion in the depths all summer. The left tank is crawling (swimming?) with Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus, one of my favourite cichlids. The "dwarf" Papyrus in the left tank started out as a tiny plantlet in a small pot. It grew like wildfire all summer, and several stems arced downwards and started new plants in that tank and also the next one! Great plant, and it will survive, although not thrive, all winter in the basement, ready to spring back to flourishing growth outside next year:
sm oval stocktanks.jpg

There's a seething mass of Green Swordtails in the tank on the right in this shot, while the left tank has or had my Desert Gobies, Chlamydogobius. I haven't seen one in there since the day I put them in, but only yesterday I finally spotted three very small, very slender fry in the tangled plants just at the surface. Have no idea if they were gobies, but they ain't typical livebearer or cichlid fry for sure. Can't wait to find out. The blooming plant is wild garlic, which again thrives outside in the summer and then scrapes by in the basement through the winter. Leave it alone and it's great; pick that pot up and place into another pond, and usually all the leaves wither and die within a day or so, to be replaced by new growth. Not a plant for compulsive transplanters and fiddlers:
lg oval stocktanks.jpg

Close-up of the largest stock tank, about 70 inches diameter. It houses four adult Cichlasoma dimerus. I like these fish, but my specimens are the worst parents in the history of cichlids. They hunted down and ate almost every fry they produced last summer, and repeated this performance this summer. The two males live amicably together in the basement 360 gallon throughout the cool winter, then fight constantly throughout the summer even in this tank:
lg round stocktank.jpg

In case you're wondering...no, there's nothing wrong with your eyes. I can't see any fish in these pics either. :) A couple of these shots were taken when I could just barely make out a fish or two, but...they can't be found in the pics. So, now...the ultimate rarity...a pic taken by me of one of my stock tanks, in which a few tiny specks can be identified as fish...in this case, mollies:
stocktank fry.jpg

Here's my biggest Hypostomus laplatae, who has spent the past year indoors at sub-60F temperatures all last winter and then 65-70F this summer. He about 10 inches now; there's a couple more in the outdoor tanks, won't know how they did until the tear-down.
H.laplatae.jpg

And, finally, here's a pic of one of the coolest new gadgets I have gotten in a long time. This little Pentax compact binocular, 6x magnification, can produce a sharply-focused image of objects as close as 20 inches from the objective lens; in case you are unfamiliar with binoculars, that is absolutely incredible! They are marketed specifically for butterfly- and dragonfly-watching, but of course they serve nicely for more typical tasks like birding, sports, etc. I can stand right next to a stocktank, or sit in front of an aquarium, and use these to magically bring the fish 6x closer to my eye. They literally live in my fishroom, and I always have them around my neck when I go out to check or feed the ponds. The optics are not on a level with top-line birding binoculars costing thousands, and they aren't waterproof/fogproof/bulletproof like elite optics, but they focus much more closely than those elites and do tasks that can't be duplicated by them. They're a must-have for aquarists:
pentax binoc.jpg

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
More pics here than I've probably downloaded in my entire tenure at MFK. :)

An overall view of the inground pond:
View attachment 1549176
Yeah, should've plucked those weeds out of the deck when I was busy pruning the water plants. This pic is the day after a couple bushels of hornwort, hair algae and guppy grass were removed. My solar-powered bog-filter pump crapped out early this spring, so the pond has reverted to its original unfiltered state. I think I like it better this way.

A few of the pond goldfish; the bigger ones are the ones I got in the spring of 2023 as 1 or 1.5 inch feeders, the smaller are the offspring of those originals and were spawned in this pond.
View attachment 1549175

The line-up of stock tanks, all picked up cheap or free except for the 2 smallest:
View attachment 1549167

Close-up of the blue stock tank, housing latipinna "ditch mollies" from Florida and a few Jordanella flagfish. These two species are ravenous consumers of hair algae, so much so that I grab handfuls of the stuff from other stock tanks and throw them in here almost daily. Believe it or not, there are lots of fish and fry in this tank:
View attachment 1549168

The smallest two stocktanks, I think 15gallons? A half-dozen Megalechis picta in the right one that have produced bubble nests, but I haven't actually seen more than a brief flash of motion in the depths all summer. The left tank is crawling (swimming?) with Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus, one of my favourite cichlids. The "dwarf" Papyrus in the left tank started out as a tiny plantlet in a small pot. It grew like wildfire all summer, and several stems arced downwards and started new plants in that tank and also the next one! Great plant, and it will survive, although not thrive, all winter in the basement, ready to spring back to flourishing growth outside next year:
View attachment 1549169

There's a seething mass of Green Swordtails in the tank on the right in this shot, while the left tank has or had my Desert Gobies, Chlamydogobius. I haven't seen one in there since the day I put them in, but only yesterday I finally spotted three very small, very slender fry in the tangled plants just at the surface. Have no idea if they were gobies, but they ain't typical livebearer or cichlid fry for sure. Can't wait to find out. The blooming plant is wild garlic, which again thrives outside in the summer and then scrapes by in the basement through the winter. Leave it alone and it's great; pick that pot up and place into another pond, and usually all the leaves wither and die within a day or so, to be replaced by new growth. Not a plant for compulsive transplanters and fiddlers:
View attachment 1549170

Close-up of the largest stock tank, about 70 inches diameter. It houses four adult Cichlasoma dimerus. I like these fish, but my specimens are the worst parents in the history of cichlids. They hunted down and ate almost every fry they produced last summer, and repeated this performance this summer. The two males live amicably together in the basement 360 gallon throughout the cool winter, then fight constantly throughout the summer even in this tank:
View attachment 1549173

In case you're wondering...no, there's nothing wrong with your eyes. I can't see any fish in these pics either. :) A couple of these shots were taken when I could just barely make out a fish or two, but...they can't be found in the pics. So, now...the ultimate rarity...a pic taken by me of one of my stock tanks, in which a few tiny specks can be identified as fish...in this case, mollies:
View attachment 1549177

Here's my biggest Hypostomus laplatae, who has spent the past year indoors at sub-60F temperatures all last winter and then 65-70F this summer. He about 10 inches now; there's a couple more in the outdoor tanks, won't know how they did until the tear-down.
View attachment 1549166

And, finally, here's a pic of one of the coolest new gadgets I have gotten in a long time. This little Pentax compact binocular, 6x magnification, can produce a sharply-focused image of objects as close as 20 inches from the objective lens; in case you are unfamiliar with binoculars, that is absolutely incredible! They are marketed specifically for butterfly- and dragonfly-watching, but of course they serve nicely for more typical tasks like birding, sports, etc. I can stand right next to a stocktank, or sit in front of an aquarium, and use these to magically bring the fish 6x closer to my eye. They literally live in my fishroom, and I always have them around my neck when I go out to check or feed the ponds. The optics are not on a level with top-line birding binoculars costing thousands, and they aren't waterproof/fogproof/bulletproof like elite optics, but they focus much more closely than those elites and do tasks that can't be duplicated by them. They're a must-have for aquarists:
View attachment 1549174
Looks grouse mate, desert gobies might’ve climbed out of the pond you never know.

Do you not have many issues with nasties coming into your ponds? The second I’ve got an open pond water boatmen and dragonfly come and have a party in the ponds. That’s why I’ve got all the covers on my ponds.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I actually kept the water level a few inches lower in that tank than I normally would, wondering if that was a possibility. I guess I won't know for sure for a couple more weeks yet.

Nasties in my ponds? Well...I lost an entire tank of my beloved Goodeids once when a couple of blackbirds drowned in it...likely while catching and eating my fish!...and sank to the bottom while I was away for a few days, fouling the water beyond belief. I have lost a number of larger fish, mostly cichlids, to mink who would dive and catch them; that turned into a literal running gun battle.

We won't even go into detail about the stock tank that the bear climbed into, had a nice bath, took a giant crap in and then left...except to say that I was able to save many of those fish thanks to an unpleasant clean-up.

I have wood and chicken wire tops made up in case mink or bird predation becomes an issue again. I don't worry too much about dragonflies, water beetles and their larvae, backswimmers, etc.; I don't doubt that I lose some fry and smaller fish to those bugs, but to me that's part and parcel of keeping the fish outdoors. In fact, my inground pond was originally intended not to have fish in it; I quite enjoyed just sitting next to it and watching all the little creepy crawlies go about their business just under the surface. I only started keeping fish out there in response to the mosquitoes which, unsurprisingly in hindsight, began breeding like gangbusters.

I'm not specifically trying to breed my fish; I just want to keep them in the best conditions I can, to observe them acting as naturally as they are able. That usually includes inciting them to breed...but also includes expecting many of the fry to be eaten by...whatever. :)

Reactions: ken31cay
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store