Panfishing

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Bowfin (same fish different name lol) have always been super interesting fish to me. Never caught one before and wouldn’t even know where to start. I know we have them in New Jersey but feel like I’d get mostly pike and pickerel in that process.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Bowfin (same fish different name lol) have always been super interesting fish to me. Never caught one before and wouldn’t even know where to start. I know we have them in New Jersey but feel like I’d get mostly pike and pickerel in that process.
They are fun to catch, fight like crazy. All you really have to do is find a creek where they are rolling the top of the water and just cast a lure out. They bite everything. I like using spinner baits and plastic worms. Topwater lures like whopper ploppers and rebel pop-r's are fun too.

I'd love to catch more chain pickerel or redfin pike.

Reactions: Matth05

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Another day at the river. I got my first warmouth in a long time and a huge blue gill. Still no redbreast, I'm guessing the easy to get to areas are about fished out, most people who fish here come for redbreast. Also found a new friend, first gator I've seen in the river.

1000003546.jpg

1000003550.jpg

1000003544.jpg

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
So the last couple days I’ve learned that juvenile bass go crazy for a simple trout magnet. Believe or not I’ve never really used trout magnets before, and picked up a handful of packs for less than $10. Something about this profile makes juvie bass go nuts, more than any other panfish specific soft plastic I’ve tried.
IMG_2908.jpeg
Just a 1.25 inch trout magnet on a 1/20 or 1/32 oz. jig head. Some of the more cooperative fish I was able to take pictures of: These juveniles are a pain to handle and refuse to relax for even a second. So I usually opt for very quick unhook and release before they inevitably squirm out of my grasp lol.
IMG_2907.jpegIMG_2899.jpeg
Even effective with the super micro bass. Their eyes are bigger than their stomach lmao.IMG_2904.jpeg

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
I can't remember the last bass I caught 😂
Haha. Up until last year when I started this thread I only would fish for bass. It’s cool catching young bass on an ultralight setup lol. I still love bass fishing (with bass gear) but I’m starting to enjoy this a bit more in all honesty. Theres a lot more species to target, I tend to get skunked a lot less often, and it’s just pure fun.

My light and ultra light rod arsenal keeps growing and I find myself grabbing one of those before one of my bass rods lol.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Landed this slab of a hybrid while chucking a mini crank after work today. Fought harder than any bassi caught in that setup LOL

IMG_6798.jpegIMG_6797.jpegIMG_6797.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store